Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since i last posted about this saying i thought i found the problem i realized i was wrong. Thought it was maybe on the edge of richness and the hot weather put it over the edge. To refresh your memory, BOTH plugs are completly sooty black. I have installed new nology coils and wires, removed both shims, removed the pilot screws to inspect for wear or bad o rings, tried different pilot jets, balanced the carbs, cleaned the air filter, checked the inside of the air box with a mirror for bloackage on the carb side of the restrictor, checked choke linkage and plungers, plugged off the EVLS, checked the slides for problems and diaphram cracks. But a lot of those things are not going to cause BOTH plugs to be sooty unless a huge coincidence has taken place and both sides had the same problem. Still i had to check. Since there is no air restriction taking place before the carbs, the only things i could think of that might affect both sides are the ignition, the choke, or the EVLS. Hopefully i'm missing something someone will think of.

Now heres what makes it more confusing and may offer a clue.....in the right side muffler after a ride i can smell that nasty sharp smell a car has when it's dieseling. You know that smell that makes your eyes burn? Anyways, the left doesn't have that at all. This should be a clue, but as i said it makes it more confusing because both plugs are sooty. unless i have dual problems that happened simultaniously. any ideas you have, please tell me, crazy or not. I'm out of ideas at this point and with this and the vibration problem which may or may not be related, the only thing keeping me from selling the bike is the fact i can't sell it in good concience unless i sell it cheap. and if i do i'm either gonna have to stay bikless of get a cheap jap bike.

[ This message was edited by: dazco on 2006-10-14 15:52 ]

·
Registered
218 Posts
Daz,
I am probably way off base.
The only time I had sooty plugs was 2 yrs ago before I rejetted & changed needles.
I was always checking the plugs after each long ride.
Went for a 80 mile ride & checked the plugs cause I was always concerned I was running to lean with the TBike pipes & snorkel removed.
The plugs were black.
I found that I left the choke on about 1/4 out.
I am not saying your choke is on.
But maybe it is sticking somewhere.
Like I said I am probably way off base.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like i said, i checked the choke the best i can w/o removing the carbs. the linkage seems fine and the plungers go all the way in. I'm wondering about the ignitor. Theres no way to check it other than swapping it out. But i would assume there could be various degrees of how bad they are and maybe wouldn't necassarily cause cutting out or any of that. I don't know if it's got one circuit thats responsible for both cylinders, but if it has dedicated sections for each maybe that could account for one side smelling like that and the other not quite as bad and sooting the plug but not so badly as to cause the smell.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The OEM Ignitors are $500.00 +.
Nology is suppose to release one towards the end of the year for less than half that price.
From everything I have read on different forums that could be your problem since you have already replaced the coils & your choke is OK.
I am only guessing though.
Sorry I dont have a real answer for you my friend.
It is Saturday.
Hope you have some Coronas.
I do.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i wouldn't count on nology coming up with one. I talked to them on the phone before i ordered my coils and talked about that and he said something like "i wish we could", which i took to mean they'd like to make one but couldn't make one if they wanted. Can't recall his exact words but what he said insinuated they have nothing planned at all in that regard for our bikes.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
daz, I'm still leaning, no pun intended :-D , towards the enricher circuit some how is engaging past idle. I don't know if you have access to a gas analyzer, but I would bet you would see it happen slowly turning up the revs with the analyzer. Tear the carbs apart to see what you find and get one of the cleaner kits, they look like small wire pipe cleaners, it's cheaper than a new ignitor.

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.