Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What temp does your bike run at?

A buddy of mine thinks my 03' triple is running hot and since I am new to the world of bikes I don't know what is the common/average temp my bike should be running at.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Around 100-110 celsius is about right in slow moving traffic. On 1050s the fan comes on at 103 and goes off at 101. I'd imagine the 955s being in the same ballpark.

The radiator is a bit undersized on Triples due to cosmetic reasons and the cooling relies a bit more on the fan than most other bikes.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hey Wisconsin,
Maybe I can save you some conversion calculations -- let's talk Fahrenheit.
My '03 will run in the high 170's low 180's in cool ambient temps (say 70 outside), but will run up to 198 on the highway when it's 100 outside. Unless it's friggin freezing, the bike will climb to 218 and the fan will kick on when in town. The fan will keep it in the 210 to 215 range. This is totally acceptable. The only way you would need to worry would be if the fan couldn't keep it under 218, otherwise you are fine.

Oh, p.s., if your bike is reading in Celsius, you hold either the select or reset button for about 3 seconds to change it. Select or reset -- one will change the mph to kph, the other will change deg C to deg F.

·
Registered
453 Posts
where is stoughton? I just rode from missouri to mauston, wi (near the dells), going through platteville, reedsburg, etc. Anywhere close??

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ah, good question. I've been meaning to enquire myself.

I ride in the southern US with outside temp commonly between 80 and 100 degrees (F).

My bike consistently runs at 6 bars indicated on the temp gauge once up and running.

Relative to the range on the gauge, this appears to be "hot" - yet normal; however, without an actual temerature being given, I have no idea.

Any insight from others is most welcome.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My '09 runs what I consider too warm also. I raised this with the dealer at the 850 km service. Supposedly all checked out normal. Manual states normal range 3-6 bars. Mine never gets below 5 bars. Constantly runs in 5-7 bar range and it is damn cold in South Australia at the moment. We'll see what happens when summer hits.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Not sure how to relate to the '05+ models, cuz I don't speak "bars". But the triples tend to have a little less temp stability due to an undersized radiator (probably for aesthetic purposes since it's a naked).
But, relative to modern cars, it runs in an acceptable range. Unless your ride is spitting coolant or going into the red, your fine. If the fan can keep the temp in acceptable range, don't worry.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My '09 runs what I consider too warm also. I raised this with the dealer at the 850 km service. Supposedly all checked out normal. Manual states normal range 3-6 bars. Mine never gets below 5 bars. Constantly runs in 5-7 bar range and it is damn cold in South Australia at the moment. We'll see what happens when summer hits.
my 09 runs between 6 and 7 bars fan kicks on at 7 and turns off at 6.my manual says normal is between 6 & 7.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have only heard my fan kick on once. If i am 50mph or higher bike is right at 173-175 F all the time.

If I am in traffic or rolling along in 2nd its right over 2.

If stuck in traffic is 219

What temp should the fan kick on ?

·
Registered
420 Posts
where is stoughton? I just rode from missouri to mauston, wi (near the dells), going through platteville, reedsburg, etc. Anywhere close??
Stoughton is a few miles south of Madison.

You were near Mt. Horeb, in which I see a member is from who posted here. But as far as I'm concerned, I consider that to be near Madison as well. That's where all the good roads are. :cool:

·
Registered
453 Posts
I found some AWESOME roads just south of mauston.

My vote for the best road in the midwest is 65/69 south from Des Moines towards highway 35 in MO.

Think that's worth a new thread? Best roads in each region?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, the Mauston/Mount Horeb area is loaded with really good roads. The fun is to keep on them and head a bit north to the road for Wildcat Mountain. If you like turns then you have to try it sometime.

We usually get a small group together (3-7) a couple time a year and go for a day long ride in that area. If anyone is interested in going next time let me know and we can pick you up along the way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for asking . . . . .

I've had mine (in the Northeast US) for about 4 weeks now and could have sworn it was running too hot as well. Based on what the dealer tells me and what I read here, 180-190 on the highway / 200 -210 around town / 210 - 220 parked in traffic, is normal.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well summer has hit hard down this way (40C+) so now temp gauge rarely gets below or above 7 bars. Damn annoying having the fan running virtually all the time even on open road.
Does the fan have its own temp switch or is it switched via the temp indicator? Cant help thinking my indicator may actually be overreading. A number of time I have seen the indicator with one bar showing when the engine has been off for 12 hours or so and parked in a garage. Doesnt seem right to me. I will raise it with the dealer again but they dont seem too interested.

·
Registered
361 Posts
On super hot days here (or hot days when riding in traffic) I regularly have the fan on

I've also experienced bars still there after a number of hours not riding especially in really hot weather

·
Registered
23 Posts
Being from South Texas 7 bars are common in traffic during the summer. The fan kicks on and cools it to 6 bars before switching off.

We got a cold snap over the past week (down to 40 deg. F!!!) and it was showing 5 bars while cruising - I was worried that the motor was too cold to ride ! ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts