Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got caught in a downpour yesterday on my way home. When stopped at a light the engine started running rough. Once I picked up speed, got some air flowing past & the rain lightened up it started running smooth again. I’ve ridden in the rain before, but this is the first time I’ve had any trouble. I haven’t had a chance to look at it yet, but figure either I’ve got a wire with bad insulation that is grounding on the engine or frame, or I’ve got a loose terminal that got wet.

It’s got Nology leads, they’re relatively new. None of the coils are original; two are Nology and about 5yr/30Kmiles old.

Has anybody else had any trouble in the rain?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I would check your high tension lead on coil number 3 (the one closest to the carbs). There might some water intrusion into the coil end under the boot and with a lot of rain it might be short circuiting to the frame via a nearby fuel line that is covered in water causing the number three cylinder not to fire. True story...

An easy fix is to shoot some dielectric grease inside the ends of all the leads where they attach to the coils. For me, it worked like a charm.

Best of luck,

Noel

1 - 2 of 2 Posts