Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a great ride this last weekend we are in autumn over here fall for you guys,so making the most of every opportunity to get out on bike when the weathers good i did around 480 kms, I was on reserve at a wee place called little river and was gonna fill up before I left there as its about 50 odd kms back to Christchurch but the garage closed so what the heck thought id make it back, fortunately the last part is over some hills cause I just got down off the hills and bike puttered out of gas just as I was pulling in to a gas station wow ,that was close from full tank to empty was 280 kms with my wife on the back which is 18 km/ltr or about 51 mpg it took 15.5 ltrs to fill her up again, dont know what happened to the other .5 ltr the tanks sposed to hold,anyway that was a close call at least I know how far she'll go now tho I dont usually like running tank that low.brent:D

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Well done mate, 280km on a tank seems like pretty good going. Did you fill up on the side stand or a centre stand. I've often thought given the tank shape and where the filler cap is placed you'd be more likely to get more in the tank on the side stand, but I'm not sure. Wiser heads than me with know the answer to that question, I guess it's all about the laws of physics (or something like that LOL).

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was in Unzud many moons ago, '83 actually, and went for a drive over to our side of the South Island from Christchurch. If my memory serves me right Little River is on the west of the dividing mountains, so you would have a bit of a climb to get up and over, particularly two-up, so getting 280 K's is a good effort. Of course my memory of a trip I did 26 years ago could be rubbish and I may be talking through my hat, but I do know that I would love to get my Bonnie over there and do the same trip again. Great roads.

·
Registered
536 Posts
.....from full tank to empty was 280 kms....
280 K's.... Wow!
OK! I was beginning to wonder if my idiot light had stopped working.
When I bought my Speedmaster (new) in August last year I was getting the red light at around 250 K's for the first one or two tanks. I thereafter filled up at 200+ K's and not wait for the light.

Now-a-days (with over 5'200 Km on the clock) - such as the ride to work this morning - I had tripped 262 K's and no light!
I just want to know for sure what the range is and DOES my idiot light work!

..... Did you fill up on the side stand or a centre stand. I've often thought given the tank shape and where the filler cap is placed you'd be more likely to get more in the tank on the side stand, but I'm not sure.....
I always fill up while sat on the bike!
Bike is vertical and ever-so-slightly tipped down... Might just get an additional 40cl in there!
Well, that's my theory to the 'filling-up-game'.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Geeez that is good distance on a tank with 2 up. I think I am about 240 on the highway before I swap over to reserve.

I'll know for sure this summer when I have my big trip coming up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I fill her up on sidestand dont have center one I normally get 220/230 kms from full to reserve with wife on back dont know what she,ll do with just me as my wife loves riding too havnt been able to convince her to ride a bike .and yes we have some great roads over here come on over sometime you wont be dissappointed ,brent

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have done 250km and still going but with the reserve on and nervous. Always fill up on the side stand.

·
Registered
181 Posts
FYI: if you are desperate, you can find more gas in your tank by tipping the bike over to the left. There is a small amount (42 oz./1.25 ltr) in the space below the frame rail relief on the right side. You will have to tip the bike over to horizontal, or just pull the tank off and tip it over (8mm wrench needed). Either way, it would beat walking those last 10 or 15 miles

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i will try to remember that but hopefully i wont need to its not a good habit and a good way to suck whatever crap mite be in tank thru carbs so i will try not to repeat,brent

·
Registered
181 Posts
Getting tank crud into the carbs is not much of a problem. The petcock has two little fine mesh screens on both the main and reserve inlets. These filter out the aforementioned crud. I had a problem with these getting clogged (questionable fuel during a long road trip), so I took them out and installed a small clear inline filter immediately downstream from the petcock. It provides a great deal more filter medium, and it is easy to do a visual check. Just a tinkerer's idea.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
true tho i dont expect to much muck in a 20 month old bike yet but a good idea ,incidently I went for a great ride last sunday from Christchurch to the Bealy pub just before Arthurs Pass a great ride ,around 350 kms ,getting a bit cool tho now temp around 12 degrees c stopped at springfeild for gas and a ducati rider in front of me decided to hold his bike uprite to fill her rite up after his mate told him hed get more in,when he took off he got about ten feet before petrol started pouring out all over his bike,he was kind of pissed off and embarased all at once ,needless to say i aint doing that,but i do like the idea of tipping bike over to get a few more kms out of her

1 - 11 of 11 Posts