Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

My 2001 955i suddenly started running on 2 cylinders yesterday after I managed to stall it at some lights when a moron in a car cut me up.
I immediately re-started her and all seemed OK.
After 5 minutes I stopped at another set of lights and this is where I thought something was up. It was down on power and running rough. When I stopped at work I could hear it was running on 2 cylinders.
After work I rode her home carefully and once or twice full power would cut in for about 10 miles but the last 20 miles it was 2 cylinders only.

Now for the diags I have managed.
There are no engine lights or fault codes from the ECU/M.
I have traced it to cylinder 3 not running.
I have swapped coil from 2 to 3 and the fault stays with 3.
I have replaced the spark plug with a good old one, still number 3 dead.
I'm sure there is fuel going to number 3 as the plug was wet and there is a smell of fuel from the exhaust, though there may be not enough fuel.

Is it possible that the ECM/U got screwed by the stall and very quick restart?
Is there a way to reset the ECM back to factory/last code in case it has just got confused?

I am going to trace and check all the wires to the coil and injector, and run a compression test when I get the bits together and have loads of time.

Thank god my other bike is a Bandit 1200 with no electronics to get in the way.

So, anyone got any further ideas? :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick update.
I have swapped the fuel injectors from 2 to 3 and cylinder number 3 is still not running.

I'll spray some easy start into the air inlet of number 3 and see if I get better running next and then it will be a compression check.

Bum.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another update.
Easy-start sprayed into the inlet didn't make a difference.
All spark plugs have a nice fat spark external to the cylinders.
The injectors are all getting a nice square wave from the ECU.

So either there is a lack of compression in cylinder 3 or the spark plug isn't firing under compression (I have swapped plugs from the working cylinders)

Perplexed and getting hold of a 12mm compression tester tomorrow.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Pat, sorry I can't offer much/any technical input to this problem. You seem to have covered all the obvious things to look at. Can't see it being a compression problem if cyl 3 has just stopped running. Sounds more like fuel or intermittent electrical fault.

Good luck sorting this one. Basically just wanted to let you know we are feeling your pain even though no one has posted. Please let us know the outcome.

JJ

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Latest diags.
Cylinder 1 = 200psi
Cylinder 2 = 200psi
Cylinder 3 = 195psi <- not firing.
All look good to me though.

Now trying to get TuneECU to work, but with no fault codes being presented, I am at a loss.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts