Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am considering setting up a running light situation with the kellermans in front and back (halogen)

My question is simple, does my system put out enough power to do this safely and still recharge my battery with my stock stator?

I know how to test the battery with a multimeter afterward, but I do not want to bother setting this whole thing up only to find that My charging system cannot handle it.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
The battery really doesn't enter into the equation (other than needing to be "healthy"). What you are concerned with is the output of the alternator (half of which is the stator). Unless you are drawing a lot of current, you should be fine. I have running lights (not halogen, though) and don't have any trouble. I have, however, upgraded my rectifier/regulator to provide a pretty constant output of 14+ volts vs. the stock 13.5 or so. This helps some, but really has nothing to do with the output of the alternator.

The alternator is rated at 27 amps. Your existing lamps (headlight, tail light and parking) draw 86 watts which equates to a little over 7 amps (W=VA). That leaves 20 amps to charge the battery and whatever else you want to do.

What's the rating on the Kellerman lamps?

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
I bumped my headlight up to 70w without any issues.

BTW, the alternator probably doesn't put out 27 amps at idle. Its something less, but I have no idea what it is.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
If you're upgrading your lights, go with HID for your headlamp. It looks better, it's brighter and it's less of a drain on your system - not that that's a real issue.

I found a high/low beam system on Ebay that worked real well for me

1 - 6 of 6 Posts