Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day all. Taking my 09 EFI thrux back to dealer tomorrow after approx 600km as I think it's running very lean. It's backfiring on deceleration, surging when trying to hold a constant throttle at low speed and seems to be running hotter than I expected. The only engine mod is a set of Staintune cans (sound great) that I had fitted by the dealer from new. They assure me that they loaded the correct tune map, and to tell the truth, the bike ran like a dream for the first 2-300 km's before the issues above started to appear. I'm thinking O2 sensor. Ayway I'm sure they'll fix it, but what worries me is what's the likelyhood there being a bit of more discrete damage caused by the lean condition that might cause premature engine failure in the future? :confused:
Maybe I'm worrying too much. :(
Thanks
Russell

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hurrypants, I also have an 09 EFI Thrux and I have noticed similar problems (1200 miles now) plus I have had issues after refueling. Seems like it happens when the bike is good and warmed up and I add fuel to the tank. When I go to leave the station it will absolutely fall on it's face as if it is not getting fuel at all, then it seems to run just fine again. I am at a loss to why this happens and it is not 100% consistent, nor are there any fault codes in the ECU. I also have the TOR pipes and the tune from Triumph.

Quick note: I did find a glob of cosmoline the waxy preservative stuff partially blocking my fuel vent down by the swing arm. I cleaned it out and that dramatically helped the drivability at low and part throttle settings to the point the bike seemed normal again.

I hope that the dealer can shed some light on your issue as it may help me too. Do check that fuel vent though as it really did make a differnce on mine.

GOOD LUCK! and if any of you other guys have any suggestions please pipe up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Follow up

I've got the bike back now after it spent a couple of days with the dealer. They looked at various possible causes including the tune and the MAP sensors in the inlet manifolds. They eventually found the wiring from the oxygen sensors in the exhaust headers was swapped over in the wiring loom (apparently plugs are the same). They also fixed a very small exhaust leak at the join between the header and muffler on the right hand exhaust. The bike seems to be running fine now, though I do need to go for a 100+km ride through the twisties to be certain. I didn't find that the issues I was having was related to when I refueled though, as you seem to have had GORJACK. Hopefully we have both fixed our problems and it'll be trouble free riding from now on.
Cheers
Russell

·
Registered
4 Posts
More Follow up

Hurrypants, thanks for the tip about the O2's having the same plugs side to side. Odd, you mention that as I was troubleshooting my bike I disconnected the O2's to see if there was a differnce in drivability and I noticed the plugs were indeed the same. Not only that, but it was overwhelmingly difficult to tell which plug went with which sensor. Most vehicles it is easy to tell, but not in this case. Anyway, I think by dumb luck I plugged them back in opposite to the way they were originally. Then I downloaded the Triumph map for the offroad pipes again just to be sure. I kinda thought that the remap fixed things but now that you bring up the O2 point I may have just gotten lucky. Also I noticed that at idle the fuel injector pulse values, before swapping the O2 plugs were moving opposite of each other, but now that makes more sense. Now the fuel values are very similar and remain more steady.

Thans for your reply and I hope we both have fun and trouble free rides from here on out!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quality control??

Interesting that you may have had the same fault GORJACK. Don't know if you're reading these posts Triumph, but it makes me wonder if there is a design/quality control issue here with the fuel injected Thruxtons. I realise that we are only two customers but it sounds as though this could easily be a build issue that may affect many more bikes. Back to my original post, I am still concerned with potential premature engine failure due to the high combustion temps during the period the bike was running lean? Any comment?
Cheers

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ignition maps

Hurrypants, thanks for the tip about the O2's having the same plugs side to side. Odd, you mention that as I was troubleshooting my bike I disconnected the O2's to see if there was a differnce in drivability and I noticed the plugs were indeed the same. Not only that, but it was overwhelmingly difficult to tell which plug went with which sensor. Most vehicles it is easy to tell, but not in this case. Anyway, I think by dumb luck I plugged them back in opposite to the way they were originally. Then I downloaded the Triumph map for the offroad pipes again just to be sure. I kinda thought that the remap fixed things but now that you bring up the O2 point I may have just gotten lucky. Also I noticed that at idle the fuel injector pulse values, before swapping the O2 plugs were moving opposite of each other, but now that makes more sense. Now the fuel values are very similar and remain more steady.

Thans for your reply and I hope we both have fun and trouble free rides from here on out!!
G'day again GORJACK. Just re-reading through your reply above and got wondering about how you some things. You state that you were able to download a Triumph map, as well as checking fuel injector pulse values. How are you doing this? Do you have a factory diagnostic tool or something? Sounds like it would be an intersting exercise to "finesse" a tune if it could be done at home.
Cheers
Russell

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Russell, I used a tuneboy from your neck of the woods:thumbsup:. I think the website is www.tuneboy.com. The staff is really nice and easy to work with and the software package works exactly as described. It cost me about 400 American but I think it is a nice tool to have. You can download maps, and change about every fuel and spark parameter the bike has through the rev. range. I am pretty happy at this point now that the O2 issue is sorted, so I have yet to change any of the fueling from the Triumph offroad map. I plan to use it more in the future if I get the extra money to do engine mods. By the way, it has been over 100degrees F here and I am absolutely roasting the family jewels when riding. I used to have a 06 Scrambler that was carberated and did not notice the extreme heat that the Thrux seems to deliver. Just wondered if you had the same issue?? I guess the FI is able to run the bike leaner and get the cylinder burn temps up and still prevent detonation.

Hope this all helps,

Keith

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Hey Russell, I used a tuneboy from your neck of the woods:thumbsup:. I think the website is www.tuneboy.com. The staff is really nice and easy to work with and the software package works exactly as described. It cost me about 400 American but I think it is a nice tool to have. You can download maps, and change about every fuel and spark parameter the bike has through the rev. range. I am pretty happy at this point now that the O2 issue is sorted, so I have yet to change any of the fueling from the Triumph offroad map. I plan to use it more in the future if I get the extra money to do engine mods. By the way, it has been over 100degrees F here and I am absolutely roasting the family jewels when riding. I used to have a 06 Scrambler that was carberated and did not notice the extreme heat that the Thrux seems to deliver. Just wondered if you had the same issue?? I guess the FI is able to run the bike leaner and get the cylinder burn temps up and still prevent detonation.

Hope this all helps,

Keith
Cheers for the feedback Keith. Had a look at the tuneboy website. Sounds very interesting. I think it might be the next item on the wishlist. Funny how once you buy a bike like these the outlay just continues with things that make it smoother,faster, louder, shinier or just more fun. Anyway as far as your comments regarding engine temperature, I haven't noticed it being overly warm since the O2 issue was resolved. Mind you it is the middle of winter here, with day time temps around 10-14 degrees C. I have noticed a slight, cyclic surge at constant throttle highway speeds. Feels like a very slight, gradual power loss which then suddenly picks back up, before commencing same cycle again. Only slight and no feel of the engine missing or anything. My guess is the ECU is "leaning" out the mix gradually, then deciding its overshot. I think the tuneboy would probably show whether this is right or not, but for now its back to the dealer. Thanks again mate.
Russell

1 - 8 of 8 Posts