Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Triple (05) and its running what seems to be very hot to me. Is this normal?.
I live in London, and its pretty cold at the moment, about 6-7 degrees I guess. It worries me what will happen in the summer months when the airs hot and I'm in London traffic. The temp gauge is reading four bars of max. Is this usual?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Mine runs at 6 out of 10 bars no matter the outside temp. It copes with the Florida summer fine so I wouldn't worry.

Welcome to the the nut house.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, thats good to know. I guess if it works in Florida heat it'll definitely take a British summertime. Ive just swapped from doing jap bikes, so its hard to tell as they seem to run very cold in the winter here. I could quite easily put my hand directly on the can after a run across London. I dont think Ill try that with the triple.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
On 2006-12-05 07:23, chewey wrote:
Thanks, thats good to know. I guess if it works in Florida heat it'll definitely take a British summertime. Ive just swapped from doing jap bikes, so its hard to tell as they seem to run very cold in the winter here. I could quite easily put my hand directly on the can after a run across London. I dont think Ill try that with the triple.
A straight through can will remain relatively cool. A 'full' silencer will however cause a burn if touched.
Another reason to get a noisy one........... :-D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I didn't think about that. My previous can on my ZX was a race acropovic, I guess it would get a lot less hot as you say.

Whilst Im sure there are much more efficient exhaust combinations, I think for me the deal clincher for the newer triple is its looks, and the cans are a major part of that.

I'm searching for a set that will be straight through ( and plenty noisy ) but keep the same look. Noise is a major advantage to me as I'm in heavy traffic all the time and I find it lets car and scooter drivers know I'm overtaking.

Does anyone know if a straight through can will significantly
effect engine running temperature? as well as performance. I'm guessing it does.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Chewey, if you like the stock look (as I do) go with the Triumph Off Road cans (TORS). Same look as stock, but pretty much striaght through. I love mine...

-Rob

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Agree with Rubbus, but if you want loud then the TORS just don't cut the mustard. I got a set nearly new, just a WEE bit louder than the stock cans.
An unbaffled Zard (£££) is the way to go if you want soul stirring music from the loud end, (thing runs cool too....... :-D )
BTW a BAFFLED Zard is louder than the TORS.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just a question for us "OLDER bike riders"...

70 outside No experience as I bought late in the fall
60 outside bike sits at 169
50 outside bike sits at 168
40 outside bike sits at 165
35 outside bike sits at 162
30+/- I sit inside... :-D

Just wondering what to expect in the summer heat is all. Gotta do a full flush of all liquids this winter. Speaking of which you folks all stick with M1 A/F? Or have better recommendations ... OMG another Oil type thread!!! RUN RUN!!!

·
Registered
885 Posts
On 2006-12-05 13:02, Speedys06Triple wrote:
Sheez, you guys don't get all your bars? Perhaps you should switch to Cingular!
After hitting 3 or 4 Cingular bars I start drooling on myself and need a taxi ride home..

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
If you're worried about high temps, make sure the radiator matrix is kept clean. Insects tar dirt and road junk will hinder airflow through the rad and oil cooler and decrease their efficincy.
It gets quite hot here in summer close to 40c/100f but I haven't had heating probs yet. So you guys living up north in colder climes quit worrying.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well Ive checked out a few of the makers sites and Ive got to say the one I like best so far is the Carbon can made by trident at

http://www.trident-exhausts.com/page-silencers_1050-speed-triple.php

Ive no idea what there like but they look good. Anybody had any or knows of anyone that has?

Anybody got any views on the best helmet to wear whilst riding the triple?. Ive got my battered old HJC but I'm thinking of getting a Simpson.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
On 2006-12-07 09:19, chewey wrote:
Anybody got any views on the best helmet to wear whilst riding the triple?. Ive got my battered old HJC but I'm thinking of getting a Simpson.
The best? Oh boy, don't go there, your exhaust thread will no longer be an exhaust thread. There are already a couple of very large threads about helmets. You should be ablw to find them pretty easily with the Advanced Search.

Capt.

·
Registered
919 Posts
On 2006-12-07 09:19, chewey wrote:
Well Ive checked out a few of the makers sites and Ive got to say the one I like best so far is the Carbon can made by trident at

http://www.trident-exhausts.com/page-silencers_1050-speed-triple.php

Ive no idea what there like but they look good. Anybody had any or knows of anyone that has?
I've got the Trident 1/2 pipe and I know Tracker has one and I think Devious2xs has one as well. Probably lots of others. They are running a special right now, search down a ways to find it. I love mine, looks great and sounds good. Not too loud if you just putt around at low revs but it lets out quite a howl at full throttle & high RPM.

I think the general consensus is that it produces the best torque and is just a little down on peak power to the Zard full system. Devi is offering to clean up the header and remove the pre-cat which should get it right up with the Zard. Mind you, there are a lot of other options out there and plenty of other opinions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts