Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am new to Triumphs & this site. Lots of Hondas and Yamahas, but picked up my first Daytona T595 a few weeks back.

I searched around the other threads, but couldn't determine if I am running too hot. (someone else had a similar post...)
I understand that these bikes tend to run warmer than other bikes I am used to. But...
On the highways, although very warm, I have no problems. But in the city, in stop & go traffic, by the 3rd traffic light (in 4 blocks), the gauge is getting close to the red zone. Is this normal? So far, it has not gone into the red, but its getting close.
Its in the 90s (30C+) here now, and I am worried if I need to get this looked at or not?

Also, a semi-related question.
How do you put the 5 screws back on the cover above the radiator? I got 2 in, but the holes just won't line up for the other 3.

Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
22,199 Posts
It sounds like fan is not coming on?
Check the following
1) Fuse #5 (10A)
2) Fan Relay (looking toward front, second from right in row immediately behind fuse panel)
3) Ensure fan is actually plugged in

Also check that you can spin fan freely by hand - occasionally can get jammed by small rocks (then will blow the fuse)

How do you put the 5 screws back on the cover above the radiator? I got 2 in, but the holes just won't line up for the other 3.
You can thank Ethanol in the gas for that.
Not much option but to slot the holes in the cover so the screws will go in. Use a round hand file rather than dremel since this is just soft plastic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DEcosse,
Thanks for the reply.

I am not sure if the fan turns on when the engine is running. I know that it does kick in as soon as turn the engine off (and stays on for a while).
#1 Check fuse. looks good.
#2 Newb question. How do you take the relays out? The 3 inthe back are easy enough... but the ones in front... (sorry, I have ordered a manual... but it has not arrived yet).
#3 Is there a sepparate circuit, depending on if the engine is running or not? If its the same, I would assume that it is plugged in.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks for the tip on eglongating, use a hand file. Fits awsome now.
BTW, I am interested in your comment regarding ethanol. How does that effect the plastic?

·
Super Moderator
22,199 Posts
If fan is running when you turn off the motor, the control & electrical system for it is working.
Fan on temp is 103 deg C
It's sounds like everything is normal - from your original description it seemed like was maybe getting hotter & fan not coming on at all. It's been a while since I had the mech temp gauge, but on reflection think everything is fine.
Ensure there is adequate coolant - when cold there should be coolant in the expansion tank, filled to between the marks.

The ethanol is reacting with the plastic - Ducati is having the same issue.

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/ducati-facing-us-lawsuit

http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/11/19/Ducati.pdf

If you think you have it bad, it is much worse for the Sprint guys
Check this out - guy had to use a car jack to get his tank back in
http://www.triumphtorque.com/messageboard/thread/126151-Cant-get-tank-back-on-99-Sprint-ST.aspx

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi C-Weed,

I had exactly the same concerns as you after owning a string of Hondas and Yamahas. My 955 is an 02 so there are differences between our bikes although running hot seems a constant.

The weather is currently 12-15 deg C when riding to/from work in Sydney Australia although the bike will still run at 100-103 when in traffic and the fan will kick in at 103 deg. Without traffic and >60km/h, it rapidly drops to 81-85 deg C. I should point out that I rarely seen it go over 103deg, even though it hits 103 every day.

In my case there is no "red" zone, just a temp reading so I can understand your concern when you see it getting near the red....:eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DEcosse,
Thanks. While out riding yesterday, I realizedd that the fan is working.
I added coolant when I first felt it was hot (which is why I took the cover off the tank originally). Radiator was full, added too much coolant to the overflow resevoir...

Wow, if they win, I hope this doesnt kill Ducatti. At the same time, is there any lawsuit going on the Triumph side? Or is everyone waitging for the Ducatti outcome?

Mark,
Thanks for the comment. I will keep an eye on the gauge to see where it stops - I hope it really stops just shy of the red zone.

Has anyone run Water Wetter or Engine Ice on their bikes? Does it help?
Or is that a sepparate thread?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did a search, found the various coolant threads.
Seems no single answer. Guess I will start searching through other forums.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I tried Engine Ice, straight water, lowering the cut-in temp, etc... Nothing really made a difference. I did eventually change the thermostat, it hasn't purged since then and does seem to run a little cooler. My best defense has been route selection to avoid the consecutive red lights.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.