Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2000 ST. Lately I feel as though the bike is running hotter than normal so I flushed the cooling system and added new coolant. The old coolant didn't look particularly bad. I really hadn't noticed until the last couple months, although it has been the longest hot spell we've had in years, but my chestnuts kept feeling like they were roasting on an open fire. I am wearing different riding pants. My old ones were textile, no venting. My newer ones are leather with mesh in non impact areas (Rev It Gear pants). This does allow heat to flow on the inside of my legs. The needle on the temp gauge sits right at the hash mark when warmed up but will go maybe an eighth of an inch or higher above that when moving in slow traffic. Then the fan comes on. Does that seem about normal? Is there any chance that a slow degradation of the foam on the inside of the fairings could cause the extra heat I'm feeling. I know the analog gauge isn't going to tell me that much. Oh, and the rad cap looks in good shape as well and no leaks anywhere. Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
A case of chestnuts roasting on a closed-in fire me thinks... Little to do with the bike, more to do with too little ventilation in the nether regions

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I think Deano's nailed it!

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mesh seems to be a bad idea on these bikes. Until you can get some textiles or perf'd leathers just think of it as cheap birth control as no little swimmers are gong to survive those temps to make any rug-rats! :p

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Who'd have thought you need to wear the mesh in the winter and the full leather in the summer.......?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts