Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody out there performing maintenence by time instead of miles??? If so, how many hours between oil changes/valve adj/ etc?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
If you are not doing big miles with the bike, I'd say an oil change at the beginning of the riding season (which should be done anyway) should suffice. When I had my '70, I was changing mine about every 500 miles. You can figure your own time, so to speak, from how you use the bike. Remember, there isn't anything that's much cheaper to put in a bike than oil. As far as the valves go, a check at the beginning of the season and once during it should be fine, again, depending on how the bike is used. A quick valve check doesn't take that long, however, and it's worth the time it takes to do it...............thereby avoiding sleepless nights of worry and having to pull the head off to make up for 1/2 hour of maintenance.

Just the "school of hard knocks" wisdom of the "village idiot": Jim

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim- Yes, I'm not putting a ton of miles on the bike, maybe 16-20 a day, but theres alot of sluggish NYC traffic involved, and it's being driven daily. So I figure that 16-20 miles per day chews up 1-1.5 hours.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
As a rule of thumb on oil changes I use: "The less, and for shorter distances, the shorter the change intervals. The more and for longer distances the longer the change interval."

The culprit in short distance use is condensation collecting in the engine. In a perfect world you want the engine to be hot enough, and run long enough, to pass all of the water that has condensed inside the crankcase to vaporize and exit out through the breather.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts