Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some like it, some hate it. Is it good or no good to do it on a 2000 Sprint RS. Just asking out of curiousity. I already know of the two pipes that triumph offers and I do plan on going with one of them, but like I said I'm just curious.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
You would probably get more relevant replies if you told us where you lived, and what your "good or no good" criteria was.

Are you asking from a mechanical function perspective, or from how annoying you can be to your surrounding population?

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I'm surprised that local law enforcement would not ticket you for straight pipes. While they might turn a deaf ear towards a Harley, they will usually ticket other brands with no cans.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Hey P&L,
Where abouts north of detroit? I live in the clarkston area, near pine knob. Just curious.

As for the pipe - its a terrible idea. Take off the pipe now and se how it sounds, its bad. Look into 2bros pipes as they sound amazing. Thats whats on mine and I love it.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I'm surprised that local law enforcement would not ticket you for straight pipes. While they might turn a deaf ear towards a Harley, they will usually ticket other brands with no cans.
I don't believe Michigan has emissions laws that pertain to motorcycles so the ticket shouldn't stand in court. However there is no real need to attract the long arm of the law to you while doing 100 on the freeway.

Plus OnD you must remember that most law men ride Harleys and the rare few ride "crotch rockets" as our bikes are unfortunately labeled.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I havent gone out on the road with it straight pipe. So as far as the law goes I really didnt think about it. Where I'm at is real wide open farm land, and the local cops are real cool to those who ride as long as the don't get real stupid. I figured I'd search around for some answers before I did anything due to the fact that I don't wanna do any possible damage to the motor or anything. So I was rather delighted when I stumbled across this site and seen how many people from all over the place are on here and seem to be very helpfull, from what I've read in other threads.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
As far a performance goes, you will lose torque. How far up the power band I can not say because I've never seen a dyno trace from a straight pipe RS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I only ask cause a buddy and I were talking yesterday after a poker run we had done, and the question came up of how it would sound without that big ol pipe on there. So before I try it I figured I try and look into it first.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Armada, thats a pretty area. I got nailed by a local sherrif last summer on 53 for 15 over. Oops. I'm actually gonna be working in that area in the not so distant future.

Here is what MI law says about exhuasts on cars. I'd assume its the same for bikes.

This is at 50ft

(b) A motorcycle or a moped:

(i) Eighty-six DBA if the maximum lawful speed on the highway or street is greater than 35 miles per hour.

(ii) Eighty-two DBA if the maximum lawful speed on the highway or street is not more than 35 miles per hour.

(iii) Ninety-five DBA under stationary run-up test at 75 inches.

257.707 Muffler, engine, power mechanism, and exhaust system; requirements; prohibitions.

Sec. 707.

(1) A motor vehicle, including a motorcycle or moped, shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and annoying smoke. A person shall not remove, destroy, or damage any of the baffles contained in the muffler, nor shall a person use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device upon a motorcycle or moped on a highway or street.

(2) The engine and power mechanism of a motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

(3) A motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a properly operating exhaust system which shall include a tailpipe and resonator on a vehicle where the original design included a tailpipe and resonator.

I would beleive that you must leave the pipe on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't doubt the law one bit. But I don't know if they've just been lax on that law around here lately or what, but there's alot of guys in there big lifted up trucks and little sports cars around here bustin that law in half. Not saying to wrongs make it right or anything. Just saying I think they're too busy doin more important things than killin time on noise violations. I'm not tryin to sound like a smart mouth or nothin I'm just sayin. Some of the county Boys around here are a little funny. The one thing I have found is that when you know one, you know them all. Usually if you're cool with them and truthfull, nine times outta ten they let you go with a warning. If you lie, It's like an insult to them and they'll dish it right back in papper form with a bill attached to it.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Oh for sure. The deputy that pulled me over couldn't have been any cooler. I was riding on a permit by myself going way to fast. He said he could have arrested me taken my bike to the impound and slapped me with a misdemeanor. He ended up being a harley guy and followed me to a gas station on 53 and basically said pay the 15 over ticket, I'm goin that way don't go that way and drive the speed limit. I thanked him endlessly.

I think for those laws the cops have to be really bored or a giant prick. You gotta do something dumb then lie badly before they slap you with that ticket.

If you do end up straight piping it, wouldn't, I would avoid going through downtown clarkston as the cops a pricks that patrol a 1 square mile area with nothing to do so they will pull you over. They ticket oakland county cops in there cruisers all the time.

And westland may pop you too. I had a cop ticket me for a cracked windsheild one time, and another pull me over for proper stop at a stop sign but instead of allowing me to fight it he gave me an impeding traffic ticket. Which makes no sense, how can you impede traffic with no one around and stopping at a stop sign. I'm glad I don't have to work that area any more.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Harley's just sound loud. A sport bike sounds like it is going 150 mph and doing wheelies when it's loud. Hence the difference in enforcement I think.

Plus its physically fatiguing if you are riding more than an hour or so.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't do great things to the powerband either. The triumph off road tune should be enough to keep it from running too lean. I'm not sure how lean it would get with just an open pipe...but I'd take it easy on it until I knew for sure whether it was going to be too lean. I suppose you could get a tune boy, or just take your chances with one of the stock tunes. I couldn't be happier with the 2 bros can I have though..Its a proven set up.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I've run mine (briefly) on just the down pipes......just to see how loud it gets...got pretty unbearable, though really no worse than the Harley blokes on 'straight pipes'....but as you say , if you live 'in the sticks'...then you might be ok......however, I don't think your motor would be ok for too long, without the relevant ignition map or tune in it.

IE it might be ok for a blast up the road and back...... but I wouldn't run it for miles like that.

I would imagine it would/could run really lean, and no 'back pressure' too, so might be quite a bit down on power........just like (some) Harley, it would be almost 'All Show n No Go'

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
The question I would have is why you would want a straight pipe and what benefits you think you would get from it? Other than ear bleeding noise and PO'd people.

Also, how would you tune for it?

What effect would a straight pipe have on the reversionary characteristics of the engine?

Have you ever wondered why the harley boys running 2" and larger diameter drag or straight pipes run like dog poop and slobber all over themselves? There is a reason.

As an alternative that makes sense you might look into an absorption type can. With one of these you can tune for it and won't vibrate the dead out of their graves.

Don

·
Registered
509 Posts
I won't get too deep into the why's and wherefores of a straight pipe vs mufflers. Reversion shouldn't really be a problem at that is a function, mostly, of the primary pipe length and their first expansion into the collector. There is a secondary pulse generated at the end of the pipe but, it is weak in comparison.

You will find that your torque curve is going to have lots of bumps and dips in it that would take many hours on a dyno to tune out. Your secondary pipe and muffler act to smooth most of this out and, aside from noise, that is why they are on there. Even moto-gp bikes spend a bunch of time on collector shape and particularly the little megaphone and reverse cone most of them seem to run and those bikes really run in a pretty narrow range of RPM.

Drag bikes are a different matter and that and the flat track style is what most of the HD crowd seek to emulate, most with no idea as to the whys of what they do and how to tune for them. Way back in the day, HD was doing research to get the best power out of their then flathead road and flat track engines and they did lots of playing with exhaust tuning. They actually found that a slash cut on the pipe improved torque spread and peak power over a straight ended pipe. Thus the start of a fashion with no attempt at length tuning or diameter.

Things have come a long way since then and the engineers really understand exhaust flow and wave propagation in pipes. Our factory pipes are really good and you mess with them at your peril. Minor changes like a new muffler with, perhaps, freer flow characteristics, can ususually be compensated for by a savvy tuner but, for most of us, without access to a dyno and a means of changing both ignition and fuel mapping, we are better off leaving things alone.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
So, to recap:

Running with a straight pipe will result in less power, p!ssed-off neighbors, increased rider fatigue, possible engine damage and perhaps increased and unwelcome attention from law enforcement personnel. I'd guess you would also see less fuel economy as well, since you'd be pumping a lot of unburnt fuel out the exhaust.

Other than that, I think you should try it;)

·
Registered
888 Posts
Straight pipes on a streetbike say one thing. "I'm an asshole!" Don't be an asshole.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Straight pipes on a streetbike say one thing. "I'm an asshole!" Don't be an asshole.
Ha! Thats a good one. No, like I said, Just curious. I'll prolly take it off just to hear it once, but thats it. From reading other posts on here I've pretty much found the info on other pipes that I was wondering about. Thanks for the feed back.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts