Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not being a purist, I'd like to run my switch wires through my 1976 Tiger handlebars, anybody try this? Also, will the 7/8" Japanese bars work? I'd imagine it would be a slim chance that the serrations in the bars would line up with the P clamps.

I like the clean look better.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I don`t see how you can use the inside of handlebars to route the cables.
Anyway, there`s 2 half packing spacers between the handlebar and the P clip, with internal serrations. (UK bars)
Maybe your set-up is completely different to mine.

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
You can route WIRES thru the bars, not CABLES.

(I just did this on a '53 T-Bird chopper)

It is much easier if you drill the holes large enough to allow the wire bundle to slip through easily, and first fish a length of strong hard wire through to pull the electrical wires back with.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. As a long time backyard mechanic, I've routed wires through Japanese handlebars many times, they used to be designed for this. I was looking to see if there were any issues with the switch housings which would stop me from rerouting.

Thanks to both of you for the responces

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
In fact, the later models (76 included) will easily comply with in-bar wiring, as the wire bundles exit from cut-aways in the housing. Simply drill the holes at the point inside the housing where they will run the most directly into the hole itself, minimizing bends and chafing..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts