Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i have luggage & pillion on, while riding there seem to be a rubbing like noise from the left hand side.
Its hard to explain the sound, chai adjustment seems ok & hugger is clear.
I have checked cush drive & wheel bearing play all seems good.
Any idea's

·
Registered
336 Posts
When i have luggage & pillion on, while riding there seem to be a rubbing like noise from the left hand side.
Its hard to explain the sound, chai adjustment seems ok & hugger is clear.
I have checked cush drive & wheel bearing play all seems good.
Any idea's
You probably already checked this, but how is your rear wheel alignment?

The only other thing I can think of are the plastic chain guides... are they tightened down? Worth a check.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just reading some old posts and saw this - could this be the chain is too tight.

Might be fine 1 up, but 2 might just be pulling it to much, i would slacken off the chain then re-adjust with 50mm maybe 55mm of slack.

·
Registered
518 Posts
rubbing noise

Stbadge,
you say this is with luggage, is this the factory hardbags?
I recall a previous thread relating to movement of the case on the tab that projects from the mounting frame. It was cured by glueing a piece of rubber into the pannier to take up the slack. Might help or narrow down the options. :motorbike2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Chain

Check that chain adjustment again with all the luggage and both of you on board, it may need a friend to help. Even solo the suspension will take up a lot of chain slack, I thought mine was ok until I sat on the bike, but it wasn't, it was way too tight.

If your suspension is set on the soft side it will make the problem worse, as there is more rear wheel travel.

Hope this helps.

Rob G

1 - 6 of 6 Posts