Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Ok I'm convinced that you are the foremost authority on everything Tbird. I hope triumph takes note.. because they have incompetent techs everywhere!

That was sarcasm..
I know ... I said I was done discussing belts, but I just keep coming back for more abuse. Anyway, not to burst anyone's bubble, but I just asked my dealer if he has seen any of the problems that are being discussed on this thread. His answer is "no". Why? Because when they adjust the belt and alignment, they do it by the book and customer's don't seem to be complaining.

I don't side with anyone who I think is wrong. I am siding with paulfun because I believe he is dead nuts correct. I would never spray any crap on this belt. Why? Because I adjust it by the book and I have absolutely no problems. I also agree with him that if you've got 3 dealers telling you these noises are common, you've got three dealers who are idiots. Do you suppose the bike is engineered to have these problems? Also, even if the design is "young", the folks who design and manufacture the pulley's and belts (Gates, Dayco, whoever) have been doing so for years. My guess is that by now, they probably have it right (that was just mild sarcasm).

It's your bike, your money and your time but I still suggest that if you are mechanically inclined, you might want to get your bike back into spec by following the factory recommended procedure and see if that alleviates the problem. Even if it doesn't (but I think it will), you really don't have much to loose. Yes, spraying that silicone gunk on the belt stops the noise, just like a band aid stops the bleeding, even if the cut requires a stitch.

Either way, good luck and enjoy the ride.

Okay ... now I'm done with belts!

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
My dealer never said it was "common". He only said that he's heard of it happening. In any case.. I've been back twice and they've assured me that everything is setup properly and to spec.

Why is it so hard for you guys to believe that if some dirt gets on the pulley just right.. it can cause some noise? It makes plenty of sense to me. And silicone just helped clean it up.. thus getting rid of the noise!

Just because you guys have one of the many bikes without the noise.. doesn't mean you are right. And just because we all ride the same bike.. doesn't mean we're all gonna experience the same things.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
My dealer never said it was "common". He only said that he's heard of it happening. In any case.. I've been back twice and they've assured me that everything is setup properly and to spec.

Why is it so hard for you guys to believe that if some dirt gets on the pulley just right.. it can cause some noise? It makes plenty of sense to me. And silicone just helped clean it up.. thus getting rid of the noise!

Just because you guys have one of the many bikes without the noise.. doesn't mean you are right. And just because we all ride the same bike.. doesn't mean we're all gonna experience the same things.

Like I said, your money, your bike, your time. Just suggesting perhaps a different path that might lead to a permanent solution. No need to get testy. Also, silicone doesn't "clean" anything. It's just a lubricant and when the discussion starts venturing into using "food grade" vs other types of silicone on a machine (because you might somehow damage the belt), you know you are in the loose gravel. I also think that if "some dirt gets on the pulley right", you should clean the pulley.

I don't really care what you do as long as you are enjoying the ride. I am, just as you are, contributing my opinion to a thread on an open forum. Just because you say it does not make it correct and I am disagreeing with you because I, just like you, think that people can use my opinion, and yours, to decide what they might wish to do. If people don't agree with me, they can say so or just ignore my comments. It's just a discussion and if you don't want to hear divergent points of view, don't post. It's not that we don't BELIEVE you ... we don't AGREE with you.

You are not dealing with ground breaking technology here. If it is causing you a problem and you are happy living with it by spraying gunk on the belt, enjoy.

This really is my last post on belts because I think this whole "chirp/squeal/pulley position" stuff is a tempest in a teapot, but if you wish to reply, I'll read it without replying.

Enjoy the ride.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts