Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04' came with a double bubble shield mounted and a stock shield in a bag..

With the weather getting cooler, tonight I switched to the stock shield for more wind protection.. The swap over went fine, but the rubber trim that surrounds the windshield exterior isn't very hard to lift off the shield..

Anyone have an idea what's normally used to hold the trim on? Superglue will more than likely haze the surrounding areas it contacts and the shield's in great shape, so I don't want to screw it up..

I did a search on windshield trim, all that was returned was the interior trim on the fairing support..

It won't take much, but right now this rubber just slides off with almost no effort. Wind is more effort that I'm making.. :cool:

Suggestions?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I found the same thing when i changed my screen, over the years it had shaped to one screen and once removed was never tight again. it might be worth you just spending $10 and getting some new screen trim.

On ebay UK i just typed screen trim and found loads of options.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good suggestion, Quik..

I went out for a short (4 miles) ride after putting the stock screen back on.. I wanted to see where wind would be hitting me, as this is the first time I've ridden the bike with this screen..

First of all, the rubber trim strip didn't move.. I'm doing a 200 mile ride tomorrow afternoon, with much of it at 75mph, so we'll see if it moves, given that much opportunity.

Second, holy cow is that stock screen a turbulence making SOB!! The Double Bubble was great for riding. Quiet and comfortable. If it weren't for the extra wind blocking, I wouldn't have put the stocker back on.. I wear either earplugs or noise reduction earbuds under my helmet, so it shouldn't be bad, but I'm wondering about buffeting at speed..

I guess I'll find out.. Tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would work very well!! I've got access to clear RTV at work, so maybe I'll borrow an open tube and meander to the parking lot with a bottle of alcohol to clean it, and toss a couple dabs on the inside of the trim in 4-5 locations..

Should be cured fairly well by the time I get out of work, sitting in the nice breeze and sunshine...

Excellent suggestions!! I'll try the RTV first.. The free and doing it while at work excites the KLR rider in me.:jiggy:thumbsup:Happy

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I've always considered the rubber edging on a windscreen to be an ugly unnecessary addition on every windscreen I've ever had. I take them off and leave them off. I like the look of a clean polished acrylic edge. But that's my personal choice.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree, Charlie.. For some reason, since it's clear, in my mind it needs the trim.. If the shield were smoked I'd toss it in a heartbeat.. :) For some reason with it being clear and on a very dark green bike, I like the trim.. If it were red like yours, I'd do the same as you.. Red just doesn't need it..

Odd that I care about something so small on appearance of this bike..Yet I have no problem riding what my buddies consider the ugliest "motorcycle" on the planet, though..

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I don't know about that scooter....
It's the details that allows us to invest and individualize these bikes. Sometimes it's the attention to details that really makes a bike "cherry". And although I may not care for some detail an owner chooses to put on his bike, I certainly would not begrudge him for it.
Me, I don't really care for the looks of the high touring windscreen. But it sure makes cold weather riding a lot more tolerable. For me, the edging just accentuates the size of the windscreen. And I run a clear touring screen in the winter months.
If all bikes looked exactly the same, wouldn't it be boring?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If all bikes looked exactly the same, wouldn't it be boring?
Exactly! I really like my smoked double bubble for warm weather riding.. I switched to this for the cool weather.. It was 37 degrees on the way to work today, and I dressed for it, enjoyed the heated grips, and the tall shield did exactly what I installed it for.. Wind blockage..

Short shield..

And you're spot on about how folks change bikes..

My 1200GS

My KLR

R65

R80

I've basically made changes to them to have them do what I want them to do as a bike.. I actually rode the Helix to a BMW rally 2 weeks ago, camping all weekend.. I had space left over!!:eek:

But I agree, if we can't individualize them, they're just another stock bike.. I don't do chrome, and I don't do noise.. I do function.. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts