Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang , Is it necessary to remove the sprocket cover to replace the chain guide ? First time for this job its worn through at the bottom. Done 7500 miles I carry a lot of weight always 2 up (must cut down on the chips):) Chain and rear sprocket look good plenty of adjustment yet so just doing the guide for now.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
No, just remove the footrest hanger bolts & the rear subframe strut bolts so you can move this to one side & get at the chain guide mounting screw.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Next time you change sprockets, Think about 18/45

instead of the stock 17/43

Stock ratio is 2.53:1

that will make it 2.5:1
Very little change, but the rubber block will last longer.

Just 3 cents worth :cool:

That's a good point Denny

I was about to mention that on this thread when I saw your comment here.

I'm thinking about 18/44 to help my 5 speed get longer legs & to help save the chain guide as well. Better than 18/43 for my riding style..

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is what I did on my ’99 Adventurer, the next time changing the chain guide is easy – I go through one ever 5,000 mile or so. Take a small (1/8) sharp chisel and carefully place it on the outside diameter of the screw toward a counter clockwise angle and give it a light whack with a hammer. This should loosen the screw, back it out until it hits the swing arm and cut off the head with a Dremal tool and cut off wheel. Back the screw out and/or cut off again in necessary. Replace the hex head screw with a stainless hex head of a shorter length. I can’t remember the length but something like an M6x8 or 10.

Cheers,
Ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.