Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find anything in the owners manual or Haynes manual about how to asses wear of the chain guide. Is there a wear indicator anywhere on it?

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Nope, you just need to inspect it - the chain wears into the rubber and you want to change it before it wears through and starts in on the swing arm - bend it around a bit and you'll get a feel for what is left.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, you just need to inspect it - the chain wears into the rubber and you want to change it before it wears through and starts in on the swing arm - bend it around a bit and you'll get a feel for what is left.
Does anyone here have a picture of a new one? I'd like to get an idea of how thick it is new, so I can see how much has worn. Mine is about 1/3" thick where the chain rubs against it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
where wear?

Look at the bottom edge, that's where mine wore.
There is a little rubber nipple that locates into a hole on the swinging arm, the lower run of the guide had worn almost all the way through, and the nipple was about to part company.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts