Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

New here. I'm in the process of trading my current bike for either a 2000 Sprint ST with 36K miles and hard side cases, or an 01 Sprint RS with 13K and soft cases. Haven't seen either bike up close yet, but both are supposedly very clean, well maintained, and have upgrades. My original plan was to shop for an ST, but now I'm kinda liking the RS too . . .

I guess my main question should be is 36,000 miles alot on this engine? Are there tell-tale signs to watch out for with either of these bikes?
Also, How much more cramped are the ergo's on the RS model? (although the RS guy has installed bar risers, and lowered the pegs).

Sorry so many questions, any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, John B.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
There's a major service every 12k on these bikes, so be sure to check that both of these are up to date.

I love my RS, but I might just go with the ST here as hard bags would make a bigger difference for me than the other stuff. Close call.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
24,383 Posts
Welcome

Hi and welcome to the Sprint forum JBeasty:)

Don and I ask all our noobs to please read the forum stickies.:)

There is very little difference between the two models

RS std has slightly lower bars
1/2 fairing
slightly longer rear shock (I think)
Different dash & gauges
Engine is identical as is tune.

Cheers
DaveM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. So I read what I could find here about mileage - seams the bike can go quit far if properly maintained. Still, 36K is a lot more than 13K. I may see the ST today - I'll let you know how it went.

Thanks Again, JB

·
Registered
363 Posts
Another couple differences:

The early RS's have a double-sided swingarm where the ST has a single sided swingarm. The RS also has higher passenger footpegs and a slightly higher-mounted exhaust.
Front fender is different too.

Good luck!

You'll be happy with either bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got my RS last week ! with only 10,000 miles under it's belt. The dealer all so had an ST with another 6,000 miles on the clock. I just liked the RS more :)

I don't know what it's like where you are, but here the ST with that sort of mileage would sell for less than half the price of one with only
13k on the clock. I have had a couple of higher mileage Triumph's in the past and the reason I moved them on was because of the cost of keeping them on the road. You start getting those little problems that add up after a while and can all so keep you off the road. So I'd say, if you like the RS when you see it, go for it. Or wait for an ST with less K's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got my RS last week ! with only 10,000 miles under it's belt. The dealer all so had an ST with another 6,000 miles on the clock. I just liked the RS more :)

I don't know what it's like where you are, but here the ST with that sort of mileage would sell for less than half the price of one with only
13k on the clock. I have had a couple of higher mileage Triumph's in the past and the reason I moved them on was because of the cost of keeping them on the road. You start getting those little problems that add up after a while and can all so keep you off the road. So I'd say, if you like the RS when you see it, go for it. Or wait for an ST with less K's.
I think I'd prefer the ST, but ask me in 10 minutes - and I change my mind again. The hard luggage, more relaxed ergo's, and wind protection is what speaks to my practical side - I'm pushing 51. My only worry is the mileage on the ST. The guy assures me it has been meticulously maintained, and has "all the receipts".
How about anyone else? Do you agree with Steve (and me) here about the mileage concern? Or is this bike pretty durable over the long haul . . . ?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
As long as it's been kept up, I don't see the mileage as a concern. They'll do 100k no problem, and IMHO all the little problems that SJFsteve mentioned start on day one with a brand new bike. As long as whatever's needed attention to date has been taken care of, you won't really face a whole lot more of that than you would with a bike with fewer miles. Also keep in mind that bikes like to be ridden. Or, put another way, bikes rot when they sit. That ST has seen 4000 miles/year, where the RS has only had 1500 per.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
12 Posts
Since people are actually looking at this thread...how much should I expect to pay for a 12,000 mile service on a 2000 RS? does this include an oil change? I'm looking at buying this bike on Wednesday and the owner has only had for about 3 months and 2000 miles (currently at 14K) but can't tell me if it's had the 12K service or not.

Also, he's asking $3300, how much should I offer?

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
I actually prefer the riding position myself. IMO pushing through the corners is a cinch with the lower bars.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I actually prefer the riding position myself. IMO pushing through the corners is a cinch with the lower bars.
I was thinking of removing my bar risers from my ST for that very reason. I really need to give that a try.

---Charlie

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Another happy RS low-bar user here. :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'd go with the ST - mine's got 52k onit now, a 2000 model, and running sweet as a nut. Valves need checked every 12k, and I put a new stepper motor on mine last year as the old one was a bit worn. I've got Heli-bars on mine to lift my body up a bit, but not far enough - I get sore arms after 200+mile days. Fantastic power and handling, but the hard cases on the ST are the best IMHO, QD and easy to carry, secure and pretty narrow overall. Mine does 60-65 mpg (uk gallons) , wife loves the pillion, and will sit happy for 150 miles at a stretch. Full Tank is good for 250miles solo .
But maybe time to try the T-Bird as I do like more of an upright riding position, and the ST makes high speed tooo easy!

·
Registered
258 Posts
2002 RS rider here, Stock bars and Givi luggage with SW motech mounting hardware. Sometimes I think I want higher bars and sometimes I'm on a really nice twisty road. I can ride about 850KM in a day on the stock bars and I'm done. That being said I think the RS is a great sports touring machine. Very nimble, but comfortable enough to put in a good day. I'm sure that with more time on the bike I'll be able to go farther (this is my second season on it)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts