Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my RS since Saturday and I'm lovin', lovin' it, lovin' it! Such a nice smooth power delivery and so economical! Anyway, the one thing missing was the toolkit. But my question is, what out of the ordinary tools will make my servicing easier? I tend to do it all myself.

I've been servicing my 900 Trophy for the past 4 or 5 years, so I've been doing all the usual, including adjusting valve shims, balancing carbs (throttle bodies now?), etc. The previous owner did mention some funny tool for getting the wheel off? And for the oil filter (although I think one of those 3 pronged universal things will do it).

My Haynes manual is on order, and I'm planning to go over most things in the coming weeks. Although I have to say that the bike appears to be remarkably well looked after.

Thanks for all suggestions,
Carl.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've had my RS for over a year now and still love it. If you're used to doing all your own work on the 900 you shouldn't have any problems with the RS, it's a very similar motor. Can't help with any special tools, other than the shim tool, but I guess you've already got one of those for the 900, (don't know if its the same one though for the 955i engines though). Balancing the throttle bodies is easy if you've got some vacuum guages. Don't know anything about a funny tool for getting the wheel off, unless he means the large allen key or equivalent for the front wheel spindle.

Depending on the mileage, I would check your valve clearances, Triumph recommend you check/adjust every 12,000 miles, Triumphs of this vintage are known to have soft valve seats, when I checked mine (with a full service history) at 21,000 miles about half of the valves had next to no clearance.

Enjoy your new toy!

:cool:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the missing tool kit. As most tool kits supplied it's a waste of time. ***** tools and unless you had a loose nut of the three or four sized they supply (and they better be right out in the open) their of no use anyway. I have the full tool kit and the first thing I thought was "what a Joke", but in defense of Triumph, I've never had one that wasn't except maybe for the original kit that came with the Honda CA-95, but that was built in 1964! A lot less dealers around then!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts