Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Odd question time .....

I Know That over the last few years I've seen quite a few Daytona's, Sprint ST's and Tigers .. but almost NO RS's ...

Were there less of the brought out here ?
People just didnt buy them here ?

Its odd, but normally after i buy something, i notice heaps of them on the roads, but RS's ?

Cheers
J

P

·
0 Posts
Well, RSs haven't been sold in Australia since the end of 2004 (I bought one of the last ones) while the other Triumph models are still being produced.

As Triumph have continued to produce the ST rather than the RS, I assume that RSs can't have sold too well generally compared to Triumph's other models. Why this is so I don't know (my own suspicion is giving a bike at the sports end of the sport-tourer market a set of BT020 tyres which don't suit the bike at all). That said, I have seen a few other RSs around Perth.

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
Hi Jim,

There are a few up here in Brisvegas, I see one heading to Toowoomba regularly (not me LOL) I see "a few" around.

They weren't a very popular model - why?, I am not sure.

It is a Triumph for a start which makes it sort of unusual.

Could be the half faring doesn't suit all - an even greater minority of a minority group. I feel like applying for a Govt benefit already..

I heard a story of a fire in the factory that wiped out the RS components at the end of 2003 and that knocked it on the head for a low turnover model - but that is only a Chinese whisper.

I love my RS. For me the clincher was the powerplant, a bike that doesn't have all the bells and whistles (which suits me fine) AND the price.

Even when they came out the reviews said that they were a sleeper that most people would not get the opportunity to appreciate and the ones that owned them would always look back on the RS as the best all-round bike that they owned.

I am glad that I am in the second category - I always have been more than happy with my choice.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm sure Steventhechef is right.
The Aussie bike mag "Bikepoint" (Greg Leech) wrote in 2002

"So. Should you buy one?
Well, I'd buy one over the fully-faired ST because I reckon the sharper focussed RS is currently Triumph's best offering, In fact, Daytona riders might like to keep a close eye on their mirrors. Ditto Japan Inc...

I'm talking real-world, fair-dinkum, get your hand off it, useability. The RS will be bought by those that think long and hard about their bike-purchasing decision. Pity we don't always do that..."

I myself have always been partial to near naked bikes with the motor as a focal point so when Isaw them be specialled off it was the easiest decision I'd ever made.
But obviously most people prefer the ST, whereas I would probably have looked for something such as a Fazer or SV1000 had the RS not existed

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
The RS will be bought by those that think long and hard about their bike-purchasing decision. Pity we don't always do that..."

Steve > that was me.. I wanted a great bike that was a bit different, value for $ and was going to last the distance. A lot of my research (and I am pretty anal about research) pointed to the RS.

I haven't looked back - although I wouldn't mind a belly pan at some stage!!

Jim > you can't help but ride with a BIG smile on your dial. To avoid bugs in the teeth - get a full face helmet!! :-D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts