Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time Triumph owner, but a bit of a newbie when it comes to the Sprint RS (which I acquired today). When I was checking the bike out, I noticed the fuel light on. No biggie, I just figured it was low on gas. On my way home, I filled it up. Only took 1.5gal. I thought "Hmmm... this is odd!". I rode the bike 100+ miles this evening and the fuel light never went off.

The battery was replaced last month. I was hooking up a connector this evening for my electric vest. When hooking it up, I noticed that neither terminal on the battery was actually screwed down. The battery was missing the square threaded back plates. I swear I don't know how it was even starting or running right. Anyway... I stole some of the square nuts off an old battery.

I was HOPING that this might be the fuel light problem, perhaps that it needed to run through a heat cycle two or three times to reset. But so far... it's still on. Where do I start in the troubleshooting process? Could it be something easy, or do I need to pull the tank and start checking connections? Whattaya think?

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Welcome to the forum witttom.

It won't be the ECU requiring a reset. It is the EMS (engine management sensor) light that does the reset thingy after 3 heat cycles.

Sounds more like a faulty sender to me, but I'd still check the connectors first. What out when removing the tank as the fuel fittings can be a little delicate. When refitting make sure that the fuel line tubes go back correctly and watch not to pinch the lines.:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I emailed the previous owner last night to see if he could shed some light on it for me. He said that it comes and goes and didn't really know. The only coming and going I'm seeing is.... it goes away for a few seconds after it starts up, but then pops back on and stays on.

Since weather here in Ohio is looking worse and worse every day, I may just pull it into my heated walkout basement (instead of my semi-heated garage) so that I can tinker with it at my leisure.

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi and welcome to our Sprint forum Witttom:)

I ask all noobs to please take time to read our forum sticky for new members.

Thanks all ready for putting info in your sig that help us a lot.

I would try resetting the ECU anyway and see if it sorts it but I don't think it will.

See this link to an old thread of mine for instructions;

http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/65847-reset-all-settings-on-ecu-on-sagem-sprint.html

cheers,
DaveM:cool:
I've actually been around TriumphRAT.net for quite some time, but a few years ago had some login troubles with my account. I never got it resolved and after giving up for a couple years, I came back and found that my account was completely gone (which I guess was a good thing because I was then able to sign up again and log in without any issues). ...however, I did go read the new users sticky again as a refresher. I've used the forums here in the past for Speed Four resources and a little bit of Trophy stuff. ...maybe not so much the Trophy stuff, as I'm a co-moderator for the YahooGroups Trophy forum and have been there for the past several years. I do sneak in and eavesdrop on the Trophy forums here occasionally though and watch the forsale forums. ;)

I've always figured that I would eventually own a Sprint, but pretty much figured it would be an ST or the previous generation T3 Sprints. I never would have thought that I would be an RS owner. I rode one identical to this one about 5 years ago and it really did not impress me. I felt that the riding position was too aggressive (and it had risers on it) and felt that it lacked torque in the lower RPMs. Strange how my perspective has changed over the years, as I think it's got gobs of torque and the riding position isn't so bad (although I think some risers would help out considerably in the touring department). I'll be in the market for those. I'm quite pleased with the acquisition so far, and suspect that the Speed Four will be on the auction block come Spring.

·
Registered
322 Posts
When I had this prob ('02 ST) turned out to be the fuel-level sending unit. Its in the fuel tank. Dont think there was any way of repairing it so it got replaced. Now at 24,000miles, still works properly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts