Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all of the Bonneville Speedmaster owners out there.

I have never had a tac before and always played it by ear. It seems to me that the 1200 Speedmaster runs fine between 2500 and 3500 RPMs but I am not sure if I need to wind it out a bit more or take it down a bit. In traffic or side roads I stay a little over 3000 RPMs and about 2300-2500 RPMs on the highway.

I guess any newer 1200 Triumph would be about the same thing.

So questions for all of you.
On the digital tac where is red line?
Where are you shifting?
Is there any actual guidance from Triumph on where to shift? I did not see anything in the owners manual.

Thanks
Bron

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had 2 x 2018 Speedmasters ! ... I was very cautious with my first one, being new to riding a larger bike, and treated about the same as you state. I would only occasionally hit say 4,000 rpm and be very gentle getting there if I did. I probably lugged it too much .. Just before 10k service, the engine made a loud 'chattering sound', from the top end, when I started it. I took it to the dealer who said it would have to be stripped down and Triumph engaged to decide outcome. It might be off the road for months ! .. So I traded in for a second instead (great deal). .. The second bike, now being more familiar, I rode more 'normally' during run-in, like I do now. i.e. Warm up, then 4,5 000 rmp as needed, hard throttle occasionally, until run in, then once run in, and after 500mi service, start harder acceleration working up to 7,000 rpm and harder, full acceleration buy about 5,000mi ... This bike runs better, smoother no problems. I would do minimum of 30mph in 3rd, 40mph in 4th, etc up to 60mph and above in 6th during run in, below this and will start to lug when new and tight .... after 500mi .. start revving more .. and as the engine loosens more, say 5,000 - 10,000 mi .. you can start both revving full hard max rpm.. and also maybe dropping 5-10 mph min speed in gears when lightly loaded .. so down to 40mph in 5th, 50mph in 6th ... and hear that lovely burble ...

I'm not and expert .. but this might also get you a few more comments ...

enjoy !

·
Registered
722 Posts
Factory Redline is 7000. on WOT, I shift just short of redline, around down, when I feel like it. There's no wrong answer here really.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts