Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!
Let me know if anyone has an idea what this could be...
2001 Daytona 955i with 38000km.
When I am running at higher rpm's usually between 7000 and 10000
I see my rpm guage start swaying up and down.
Someone told me it could be my sparkplug wires.
Let me know if this could be the problem or what else it might be.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
quicksilver, No sparkplug wires, in the traditional sense. They're coil on plug design.

The crankshaft position sensor keeps track of firing order and engine RPM. Resistance should read ~ 1300 ohms and should be gapped at 1 mm. Any problems restarting when hot?

Other than the gauge itself or a dirty connector, that's my SWAG.

Brad

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
other than the swaying part no prob...

Bradtx, thanks for writing in...
The bike starts right up without any problems whether the engine is cold or hot. Where and how exactly would I measure the ohms with a multimeter? I take it the 1mm gap would be on the plugs? Which connector do you mean could be dirty? Sorry if I am asking dumb questions. Right now I have the tank off and just cleaned out the K and N filter. I am planning on taking the plugs out and checking the gap on them tomorrow and try to find the problem before reassembling. How many kilometers should my plugs last anyway? They have 17000 Kilometers in them right now. I am planning on waiting 3000 more and then change oil, filter and plugs.
Another problem I have had before which is somewhat reoccuring is that the bike will stall after coming to an obrupt halt like at a light.
Las summer when this happened I used some fuel injector cleaner in the tank and it seemed to cure the problem, but I also read something about a grounding problem on these Daytonas and that an extra ground wire should be installed somewhere on the bike and that this is the reason for this problem... Have you heard anything on this? Thanks for your help in advance. A.P.K.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
quicksilver, The gap I refer to is between the CPS and the toothed wheel that it 'reads'.

The CPS is located under the RHS case cover (clutch cover). Just forward of the clutch cable's bracket front bolt you'll see a small cable emerging from the crankcase. Follow it back to a connector, disconnect it and read the resistance. To check the gap you'll have to remove the RHS cover (if not too full of oil can be done without draining the sump). Very obvious once the cover is off. If you're careful you won't need a replacement gasket.

IMHO the spark plugs should last at least 10K miles in a good engine.

Brad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts