Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone hear about or have experience with the newer Royal Enfields? I guess they're made in India. Their web forum is generally all positive (naturally) about these "new" bikes. Very cool looking, 'haven't heard the exhaust note, and w/~23hp not a scorcher, but still...
I'm imagining it beside the '70 Daytona I'm restoring.:eek:

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
A guy I knew had one that frequented a cafe that I go to. The image was great but he had a lot of mechanic issues and they wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

If it is all about image and you live where there are no hills they might be a reasonable bike, but I probably wouldn't buy one.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
There is an Enfield dealer in St. Paul that has test ride weekends once in a while. The bike is gorgeous. Sounds fine. But they still leak oil, require lots of tweaking and top out at 60 mph. The 250cc scooter I sold to buy my T100 would blow the doors off an Enfield. Since I'm not mechanical I wouldn't get one. I always enjoy looking at them when I'm in St. Paul.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Write up in Jan 2009 Rider Magazine under Ridden and rated about Enfield Bullet.

Guy down the street from me has one. He like's, but the guys a retired mech. eng so he can fix or build most anything. Don't know that I have ever seen him ride it.

·
29,948 Posts
I've heard that they have no power and need a lot of work - both to get the set up right and to keep them going. They are overpriced for what they are I reckon.

To be honest - if you really want nostalgia and the wrenching experience that goes with it, get a genuine 50s or 60's brit bike - there are quite a few around, and they have a lot of character and are simply great. A lot of models still have very good spares availabilty (for instance Matchless and AJS).

That way you'll have the real thing. If you just fancy a bit of a retro look and better reliability - buy a new bonneville!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts