Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
Let's not forget, Triumph only made rickety old singles until Jack Sangster bought them out & brought his Ariel designers in to save the company name.

The new RE's just might be the saviour of the name & be serious competition.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Enfield

I will be at the factory in three days. They have indeed new bikes to be their saving grace, but it is NOT the new twin. The Enfield video was was the position of devout Enfield followers and the love is clearly in the ability to maintain them as they are aesthetically pleasing. The saving grace for Enfield has three tiers, 1. You think they are cheap here? they are extremely cheap brand new in India.Supply/demand make for the same bike sold in the West 1/3 for the Indian customer. The weight, torque, almost shocking amount of parts available from 70 years of service on the 350 and 500 cc's make the bike inviting for a lot of domestic purchasers but they admit that the new generation are not responsive (see #4) 2. They are silly cheap on the used market. 3. India and Enfield especially is as much a tourist attraction as the temples in Jaipur. Western fans of old British steel are paying up to $800 a month to rent one from unethical rental services and $450 a month at respectable rental shops. The shops start turning profit on NEW bikes in as little as three to four months! Nostalgia is THE tourist attraction in India save career driven middle-aged Western women without children going their to "find themselves" on yoga retreats. They crap out after 4 years regardless of whose riding, sold for cheap to mechanics, a few fans like in the video or sold in Delhi markets to tourists that don't know any better for $400 and make it 2 km down the road. 4. The new twin is an attempt to capture the western market that haven't sworn them off for good reason and hopefully they will be better like they want but the younger generation and Royal Enfield have their saving grace already! It is the HIMALAYAN! It is a rugged rs1200/gs1200 and is by far the choice for the new generation in India and it is the only Enfield for off roading and mountain adventures there. They are a newer bike so if you rent, it's going to be more reliable. It is a reliable bike by almost all standards for it's price.

I'll be riding a bullet 3,000km in India starting tomorrow after a stopover in London. I'll send picks. In India, almost every bigger town has a designated enfield repair clinic.

Attachments

·
Registered
933 Posts
HD's biggest competitor are their own used bikes. Steinway pianos years ago realized the same thing.
Just heard Harley Davidson is closing their Kansas City factory (800 jobs lost) because their decline in sales over the past four years. Cruiser and big touring bikes taking hits across the industry. Baby Boomers won't be able substain the industry much longer. We need the millennials or or whatever we want to call the younger generation to start be the driving force.

·
Banned
976 Posts
Just heard Harley Davidson is closing their Kansas City factory (800 jobs lost) because their decline in sales over the past four years. Cruiser and big touring bikes taking hits across the industry. Baby Boomers won't be able substain the industry much longer. We need the millennials or or whatever we want to call the younger generation to start be the driving force.
I will as a millenial inherit my baby boomer old mans harleys if he doesnt run them into the ground, but thats a long way off yet. He might still be switching them out for triumphs

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
They announced today that they are closing their wheel manufacturing in Adelaide.:frown2:

Are sales dropping so rapidly for Harley or are they setting up somewhere else?

·
Registered
71 Posts
They announced today that they are closing their wheel manufacturing in Adelaide.:frown2:

Are sales dropping so rapidly for Harley or are they setting up somewhere else?
Sales are dropping for HD. It's yet another case of the debate of whether younger folks are ignoring the brand or if the brand is failing to build products for younger folks.
https://jalopnik.com/harley-davidson-is-sad-and-getting-sadder-1822557878

Personally, it seems like HD spent the past few decades focused on short term gains with boomers at the expense of building in-roads to the younger generations. Buell and ownership of MV Agusta were their closest to attempts to build modern bikes for young riders, and HD gave up on both. In this regard, the Japanese manufacturers have done much more to at least try and market to the younger generations.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I personally don't blame Harley supplying the bikes their customer's were asking for but let's face it Harley's were never the bike for Europe or Asia. Outside of their Buell efforts, V-rods and their latest 750s they have stayed with big cruisers and tourers. Some about 450 jobs from Kansas City to York Pennsylvania facility.

HD has already had layoffs at a few of the U.S. facilities in previous years. The Kansas City shutdown and move is due to be completed by summer 2019. I have heard Harley is building a assembly facility in Thailand. I really think the Thailand facility could be a real problem for American riders. The 29.4 million dollar recall certainly didn't help Harley.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
HD sales are down again, the higher prices + all the issues current M-8 engined bike owners are having is preventing even the HD die hards from buying, not to mention all the $$$$ for warranty repairs!! one owner had 3 thats 1-2-3 engines replaced under warranty!!! you need a second reliable bike like a Triumph for all the time your HD spends in the REPAIR shop!!!!! i LOVE IT!!!

·
Registered
933 Posts
HD sales are down again, the higher prices + all the issues current M-8 engined bike owners are having is preventing even the HD die hards from buying, not to mention all the $$$$ for warranty repairs!! one owner had 3 thats 1-2-3 engines replaced under warranty!!! you need a second reliable bike like a Triumph for all the time your HD spends in the REPAIR shop!!!!! i LOVE IT!!!

Rodhotter I get your reaction to HD stumbling now, but let's not loose the impact on real people's jobs and fellow cyclist experiencing tough problems. It is hard not to get a little gitty after the last 30+ years of HD arrogance and some HD riders snobbish behavior, but let's take the high road because despite the HD behavior in the last three decades all motorcycle riders in the U.S. have benefited from the good things they have done. I am not an HD fan but I am an American fan so I don't feel good about their down turn.

·
Registered
225 Posts
HD must be doing it tuff at the moment,they have just announced they are closing down
castalloy in adelaide oz and retrenching all the workers,had been making their mag rims there for years

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
HD's are still quite popular in the UK with small people in bow fronted jackets.

I was surprised how popular they are in Italy around the Lakes but saw none in the Alps. They are a nice bike for looking at. Wish I had a neighbour with one. There used to be a HD dealer in town & then all we saw at w/e's was HD's going to & fro the shop. The shop closed, now we don't see any. Dunno where there's a HD dealer now, likely in the big cities.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The 500 singles were mainly bought by those with an expectation of it breaking down but due to its simplicity could be repaired at home. Parts easy to obtain and like the bike, cheap to purchase in comparison to other brands.

However with the launch of the twins RE are no longer be selling a cheap bike and I doubt if the new owners will be so obliging in not returning the bike to the dealers to rectify problems which shouldn't have arisen in the first place because of quality control issues.

As a simple example, has any other modern manufacturer fitted a fuel float (to determine the reserve fuel level) which actually dissolves when in contact with the fuel itself?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Bullets prior to early 2000's used old toling with terrible tolerances etc. Electra was better but still had sprag problems- starter motor. Since the UCE 2009 ish the whole quality has changed for the better. The boss is an enthusiast. I had a 2010 Classic- Black for a couple of years- apart from a loose wire day 1 i had to problems- full of character and reliable, a lot of fun especially in the country back roads and hills-plenty of torque.. I changed to a Triumph scrambler 900 as i am tall-130 kg and kind of dwarfed the Enfield- but i still miss it!!

Attachments

·
Registered
933 Posts
The Bullets prior to early 2000's used old toling with terrible tolerances etc. Electra was better but still had sprag problems- starter motor. Since the UCE 2009 ish the whole quality has changed for the better. The boss is an enthusiast. I had a 2010 Classic- Black for a couple of years- apart from a loose wire day 1 i had to problems- full of character and reliable, a lot of fun especially in the country back roads and hills-plenty of torque.. I changed to a Triumph scrambler 900 as i am tall-130 kg and kind of dwarfed the Enfield- but i still miss it!!
Great photo!

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
It says a lot about the Classic's suspension.:D

41 - 60 of 67 Posts