Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Tiger 900 Rally Pro
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have real world experience with the Rox bar risers on a 900 Rally Pro? I'm very interested if they can be fitted without too much changes to the cables.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I tried, and couldn't find a way to make it work without going to longer lines. The lines are too tight when going lock to lock for me. Plus they will rub against the metal bar stop on the neck. Apparently there are people that have found a way, or they don't mind the tight lines, just not me. I ended up putting on the 22mm risers, which work well.

·
Registered
Tiger 900 Rally Pro
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience. I think going with a pair of 20-22mm risers might be the right way to start. It might just be enough to fix the burning area between my shoulders I experience after a few hours on the Tiger.
It's not something that is too big of an issue but it would be nice if risers could fix that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hmmm are the cables shorter on the Rally than on the GT?

I fitted a set of Rox risers on my 900 GT. I was a bit uncomfortable with how tight the clutch cable was when done, so I unscrewed the "wire guide" which guides the two bundles of cables to the left and right... and that basically gave me enough clearance that I do not see the clutch cable moving when I go full lock to full lock (watched carefully on the right side of the bike to see if I see any tugging of the cable). Removing the 'wire guide' was PITA because it is screwed in upside down with thread locked screws into the triple clamp, but mischief managed so 🤷‍♂️

I think it could still be too tight if the lean of the risers is more toward the rider.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hmmm are the cables shorter on the Rally than on the GT?

I fitted a set of Rox risers on my 900 GT. I was a bit uncomfortable with how tight the clutch cable was when done, so I unscrewed the "wire guide" which guides the two bundles of cables to the left and right... and that basically gave me enough clearance that I do not see the clutch cable moving when I go full lock to full lock (watched carefully on the right side of the bike to see if I see any tugging of the cable). Removing the 'wire guide' was PITA because it is screwed in upside down with thread locked screws into the triple clamp, but mischief managed so 🤷‍♂️

I think it could still be too tight if the lean of the risers is more toward the rider.
There is a different rake on the front, so maybe that, and the longer suspension? I tried with the wire cable guides off, and was still no go for me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
There is a different rake on the front, so maybe that, and the longer suspension? I tried with the wire cable guides off, and was still no go for me.
Someone on Facebook mentioned they re routed the clutch cable so it was going on the rider side of the triple clamp, after they installed the Rox vibration damping risers. It was a GT variant but it’s an idea I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
Tiger 900 Rally Pro
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I fitted the SW-Motech 20mm risers this week. I tried them on Friday, but today I took them off again. Turns out they don't work for me. Somehow they make it feel like the bar is even further away than in the original position. And that results in a over streched hand palm and a back pain.

I kind of got use to the standard riding position now. When driving for hours I feel a bit of a burning spot between my shoulders but otherwise I'm ok. So I guess I'll leave it for now. Or maybe I'll give the lower seat position a try but my guess is that the current riding position will turn out to be the best.

Rox risers will certainly result in the need for longer cables. On their website it is stated that just rerouting the cables will be sufficient, but I highly doubt that. And the risers are just a bit too expensive to just try it.

That being said, I really really love my Tiger 900 so far. This bike just asks for a trip through Europe next season!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Someone on Facebook mentioned they re routed the clutch cable so it was going on the rider side of the triple clamp, after they installed the Rox vibration damping risers. It was a GT variant but it’s an idea I guess.

I thought about doing that, and that would probably work, just wasn't enthralled with the idea, but that is me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Rox risers will certainly result in the need for longer cables. On their website it is stated that just rerouting the cables will be sufficient, but I highly doubt that. And the risers are just a bit too expensive to just try it.
I called and talked to them, and there answer was a good number of people have used them without extending the cables. I asked if the had pictures on how they did it, but they said they did not have any. Maybe it is the ones running the cables behind the bars.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I called and talked to them, and there answer was a good number of people have used them without extending the cables. I asked if the had pictures on how they did it, but they said they did not have any. Maybe it is the ones running the cables behind the bars.
FWIW - got this photo off Facebook where someone shared how it looks like when they re-routed the clutch cable.

·
Registered
75 Posts
No thanks. Lines are still tight, and it doesn't look like the 2" risers. What risers are those?

Based on what was shared in the thread on Facebook, those are 2 inch Rox vibration dampening risers.

·
Registered
2020 Tiger 900 GT
28 Posts
I installed the ROX 2" riders today, and my issue isn't with the clutch cable, but rather with the brake line. I removed the cable and wire guides (its a T30 screw, and for anyone attempting this, it's very easy to do if you use a torx bit on a long socket extension and work from the bottom up). I also removed all the bands holding the cables and wires together. just temporarily until I got everything sorted. I installed the risers onto the OEM clamps, first tightening the bottom bolts until the risers were hard to move, then pivoted the risers as far forward as I could while still being able to get the hex key into the bolt to tighten it down. Then I put the bars on and messed with their rotation to find a comfortable position. I turned it full lock left and everything was fine regarding cable and wire tension. I then went full lock right, and that's where I noticed that the brake line was stretched to just about capacity. I don't think it's going to be much of an issue, but just something to be aware of. I'm considering alternatives, either re-routing, or maybe getting a 1-2" longer line made up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I installed the ROX 2" riders ....... I noticed that the brake line was stretched to just about capacity. I don't think it's going to be much of an issue, but just something to be aware of. I'm considering alternatives, either re-routing, or maybe getting a 1-2" longer line made up.
Same here. It's tight but not binding. I took them off for the last 2 months riding season but now about to try them back on again and look to create a little space.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I put on the ROX 2" risers last year, and took them off. Even with the brake line not in the wire guide, I wasn't comfortable with the way it like to rub against the upper fork stop. Just don't see good things happening with that. Granted, it is rare one is at full lock, just not for me.If I put them back on, I will get longer lines, and make it a non-event.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think there must be a difference with the GT and the Rally Pro... I installed the anti-vibe rox risers (which i think are basically 2") on my Rally Pro and everything was super tight, as seen in that facebook picture up there. Without massive manipulation, there's no way you want to have the riser like that. The clutch cable is so tight at full lock, it pinched a hole in the rubber lining. What I'd really like to see is the instructions to take all the fairing off so I can look at how everything is routed. I'm sure it's a lot of work to extend all those controls and fluid cables. Has anyone attempted this before? I see LOTS of lines. HeliMark... looks like you might go that way?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I put bar risers on my GT Pro in May 2020. In Feb 2021 and 5000 miles later I started having problems with intermittent failure of the left switchgear. The dealer diagnosed the problem as being a loose connection due to stretching caused by the risers. Risers have come off and the problem is gone.
Be aware.

·
Registered
Tiger 900 Rally Pro
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is exactly what I was afraid would happen when I installed the SW-Motech risers. Let alone Rox risers.

·
Registered
2020 Tiger 900 GT
28 Posts
I put bar risers on my GT Pro in May 2020. In Feb 2021 and 5000 miles later I started having problems with intermittent failure of the left switchgear. The dealer diagnosed the problem as being a loose connection due to stretching caused by the risers. Risers have come off and the problem is gone.
Be aware.
I have the exact same problem. Bike wouldn't start at all when I hit the button. Then I'd wiggle the wires in the left switchgear and it would start, it was like there was a loose connection in the clutch switch. Also turn signals were intermittent. I just took the risers off and haven't seen any issue. Even with the risers though, there wasn't even the slightest tension on the wires going into the switchgear, so really it seems like an issue with the switchgear that is just exacerbated by the risers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts