Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been watching lately. Does anyone know if roundslide got his bike running again?
Jeff :cool:

[ This message was edited by: Trident85596 on 2006-10-15 14:47 ]

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yes, bike is getting on near 2000 miles on the rebuild, with no problems (besides a busted chain guard) worth noting. Here are a few pics that I took last week:

One with a D.I.D. Bling Chain and black anodized rear sprocket.

And a good sideshot with the blacked out footpeg brackets and cheese graters visible.

Alot of people on this forum gave good advice and encouragement during the bike's downtime, and I really appreciate that.

At the end, I spent almost $2800 on the all upgrades, here's a more specific break-out if anyone is interested:

Bronze Oil Pump gears: $385.25
Jet Hot Coating of Exhaust and Trim stuff: $231.12
Falicon Crank and Rod Work: $786.36
Big Bore Kit and Install Labor: $985
New Barnett Clutch Springs: $16

Then another couple of hundred bucks for a new gearshift shaft (original was bent after bike was dropped 2 years ago) a new turn signal flasher, the gallon of scam oil and filter, and then a few miscellaneous bolts.

My sincere hope is that this bike will go quite along time without any significant problems or maintenance requirements, the big bore kit sure is fun to ride though!

If anyone has any questions or curiousities about my experience, please don't hesitate to ask!

Glad to be back on the road again :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Butt dyno thinks low 70's HP and mid-50's for torque. Bike pulls great, even when I went from my 16/44 sprocket arrangement to a new 17/43 gearing scheme. Agro ran my cam specs through a simulation program, and told me that my cams would tend to emphasize the low and mid range torque, which seems consistent with how the bike pulls. The crank work is more beneficial towards a longevity standpoint, I really wish I'd had the flywheels lightened just a bit, to make it a bit revvier, but oh well. Most of the money I spend on the thing from now on will be geared towards making it more long-distance comfortable. Wish mustang would make a seat for these bikes, that corbin is still too dang hard!

·
Registered
401 Posts
the original oil pump gears sheared coming back from Memphis, TN, and the engine started to seize while I was trying to baby the bike to a gas station.

After a bit of hassle and delay, Triumph made the decision to go ahead and pick up the entire cost of the rebuild, which consisted of 10 hours of labor, new main and rod bearings, new oil pumps and gears, a new suction strainer, new rod bolts, and all the miscellaneous washers, gaskets, and O-rings. While the bike was down, I sunk all that money into the thing. The crankshaft was supposed to have gotten knife-edged, but at the last minute Falicon decided for whatever reason that the Triumph crankshaft wasn't suitable for knife edging, so they didn't do it. That was a big disappointment, I think that would have really made a difference in how the engine revved. Also, the dealership neglected to take the opportunity to polish the intakes, and match-port the head to new billet intakes. In retrospect, it's a good thing those things didn't happen, I was pretty darn close to maxing out my credit card as it was.

·
Registered
401 Posts
'Trim, no, did the D&D proprietary 904 kit. It's similar to the British Customs set-up. Core charge/exhange on the cylinder block, they install a bored-out/nikasil plated/re-honed cylinder block (no cast iron sleeves) with new pistons.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to see that you are back on the road.I hope
it all runs well from here on out.Nice looking bike.
ride safe
Jeff :cool:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
It's all coming back to me now, arent you the guy that had a company in MD machine bronze oil pump gears? Your comment's about Falicon arent the first negative thing I have heard about them, and your probably right about the motor revving free'er with the crank being knife edged.

Glad to hear that triumph footed the bill and stood behind the oil pump gear failure though. If your bike run's anything like mine.....your havin fun :)

The bike look's great man....all that black is sweet.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yeap, had the outfit (Teo Sys) in Maryland make me metal gears. Overall, I was happy with Falicon, but they never really did give me an explanation as to why they wouldn't knife edge my crank. So what sucked was having to pay for all the shipping and insurance (which I'm not complaining about the insurance), so that it drove the total price of the machine work up, with little performance gains to show for it. My metal is in much better shape, had everything polished/shot-peened/ balanced, and then cryo-frozen, but it'll never be anything that I can point to on a dyno chart, or with the butt dyno.

Am having lots of fun though, the bike has alot more piss and vinegar than before.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.