Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the honeymoon period is over, I love my new purchase and totally do not regret it one bit, it's a great bike. After checking into the bikes history I found a few things that don't totally shock me.

When I bought my bike I was told the guy lost the service history but always went to his dealer, well the dealer has never serviced it so as it stands I don't know when my Sprint 2001 was last serviced and I also know it hasn't been ridden since March at least. Not really surprised and tbh it rides really well. I'm probably just being a perfectionist.

So I'm defo going to take it to a mechanic and just say assume the worst and give it a total overall, thorough check and put in new plugs, tubes, fluids, at least I do know that chain and sprocket are good.

I did a check on the MOT site and found some advisorys though, the rear bearing it said had a little bit of play and it also said the steering was a little rough. If the worst is true and they need replacing/overhauling I see from the Haynes manual that that isn't a small task. Has anyone else seem similar and what was their experience like?

Probably best to get it all sorted now and spend some money up front to prevent any problems in the future and make sure my baby lasts for many more years, its a great bike and deserves it, and really its only a baby. I want to see this thing reach 100k+

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Well I know my 99 needed a new stearing head bearing. Lucky for me I was able to replace it when I wrecked the front end. (needed to to adapt the new forks) But all in all the job itself was not that difficult, all you have to do is find a way to support the front end and your good. Pretty simple really, and bearings were like $60 for the set. Torque wrench is kinda important too.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'm gonna get a mechanic who is experienced with Triumphs and sprints. My half the trainers at the school I went to have sprints, are ex bike cops, and they told me to call this guy. He's at a little garage, not a dealer, but if they trust their babies with him I do so I now feel alot more comfortable about sending it to him to get it done. I'm still used to the prices I had to pay to get my MG ZT car fixed... this has to be cheaper :)

I'm gonna get this bike as good as new and take care of my baby, damn I wish I could go out now for a ride.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts