Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forcast for Saturday 70-72 degrees and sunny.

I get home Friday night and zip through a bunch of chores so I head out with some friends Saturday afternoon. I noticed the other day that my chain was a bit loose so I move the bike into a better spot in the garage and notice a small puddle of coolant. "Oh crap!".

I do my chain adjustment then follow the drip. Up the side of the motor, pass the top, it's dripping from somewhere under the tank. Good news is that it's not the motor, bad news is that I have to take the tank off.

The tank is off, looks like a loose hose clamp. I tighten it and get everything back together. Bike is ready to roll!

Noon rolls around on Saturday, it's time to head out. I'm backing the bike out of the garage while it's warming up and my daughter comes out with a sweatshirt she wants to bring in case it get cold. I stop rolling the bike and get off to take the sweatshirt and put it in my saddle bag. Problem is sidestand is still up.

Bike goes over on the left side, gas is pouring out, I see some coolant leaking, it's still running. The bike conks out.

I get the bike up using adrenaline and totally wrong lifting technique.

Since coolant leaked out, I take the seat and tank off again, make sure filling cap is still on. Get everything back together.

Bike won't start!

Try and try. It's making an odd sound. Sound is coming from the overflow tube to the tipover valve. Instinctively I blow into the tube figuring it'll clear it of do something.

It does and the bike roars to life.

I get to our meetup spot and have received a text message from another friend saying he can meet us but may be a little late. Well, if he's coming I'd hate to leave, so we wait. And wait. And wait.
His cell phone just goes directly to voicemail. While we're waiting, of course, it gets dark and cloudy. My trusty aviation forecast says it'll be mostly cloudy for a couple of hours and then clear up and 0% chance of rain.

After an hour we give up and head out.

Once we finally got going, we had a fantastic ride. The sky cleared up and the sun shined on us as we tore up some twisties.

The roads were in surprisingly good condition despite some major snowfall on Monday. They treat the roads here with a mix of salt and cinders (gravel).

Stopped at the Milkyway Restaurant for burgers and shakes then headed home.

It was a challenge to get going, but the day turned out to be great!:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
WOW that was a bad start to a beautiful day. Any damage to the bike? Haven't got mine out yet still way to much cinders on the road, we got hit allot harder in western Pa this year than you got out east. This is nice weather to get the bike spit shined & ready to go, not like it wasn't already, just another excuse to hang out in the garage with the bike. Take care!
Corey

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any damage to the bike?
I'm glad you asked!

Kudos to my Engine Guards from Ma's Cycles.

No damage at all to the bike. The only thing was the left mirror was loose. That's it!

I have to that the bike is running fabulously.

I'll be seeing you in June Corey!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Man, you've got faith. After the tip over, I would have scratched the day and began drinking...heavily. LOL.
Glad things turned for you.
Oh, and I could never own a bike with a radiator: just one more thing to leak.:D

·
Registered
411 Posts
The radiator might leak but if you are stuck in traffic on a hot day and you hear the fan click on ,you know it beats aircooled!. Oh , and the weather forcast for today (sunday 8th) was heavy rain and high winds. Awoke to bright sun and light winds, ran down to one of my oldie bike fixed charging fault ( traced it to dodgy fuse so ripped it out and crimped wire ends together)jumped onboard and had a lazy ride out to the stables, helped my girlfiends replace rotten hoses, a man thing, returned home at 2.pm and the rain fell down 30 seconds later. Was that a good result, yes. The icing on the cake, my football team won 3-0 at 3.30 pm ( sorry soccer for the yanks), come on you Gunners!! p.s. l was called Limey for four years!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had baby duty this morning.

The baby and I were able to get all that crap washed off the motor, double check everything, and install a power port for my GPS (and maybe some heated gear in the future).

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
you were lucky a conk out while on the left side like that can spell BIG trouble. If the bike goes right over (maybe your engine guards helped here) then oil can go up into the airbox, through the carbs and hydraulically lock the engine - result is bent rods damaged pistons etc. The real kicker is that this can actually happen on the restart too if you don't ensure the bores etc. are clear of oil.

Normal procedure after a left side conk-out to avoid the above is to drain the airbox, pull the plugs and spin the motor on the starter to clear out any oil from the bores. This should be done before any attempt to restart.

you were lucky very Al, I have heard of a dozen or so bikes that were trashed this way! Really glad that yours wasn't one of them.

Also interested in where the gas came from if you still have a rollover valve? Do you have a vented cap, or was the valve letting gas through?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No danger of oil in the airbox, because there is no airbox!

I'm not sure where the fuel was running from, I was assuming the fuel line into the carbs.

The engine guards were aftermarket from Ma's Cycles.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
No danger of oil in the airbox, because there is no airbox!

I'm not sure where the fuel was running from, I was assuming the fuel line into the carbs.

The engine guards were aftermarket from Ma's Cycles.
Ah of course! I forgot you had some serious mods on there. Yes it would make sense that it could be coming from the carbs. Glad nothing was broken :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts