Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get a 1960 500cc SV TRW on the road. The bike starts and idles fine. Accelerates through the gear OK but once in top and holding a fix throttle position the bike constantly jibs making it very unpleasant to ride. The Solex carb jets are as per the manual however no air filter is been used (still looking for one). Adjusted the ignition timing while running no difference. Constantly been informed that the problem is the timing. An overhauled distributor( Distributor Doctor UK) has been installed. Thinking the main jet is too small (110 currently) due to no air filter. Would appreciate some direction and advice. Must mention there is some clearance with the carb butterfly spindle and carb body. Fitted o rings in an attempt to seal the spindle.

Removed the magneto (Lucas K2F) since the bike would not start easily and replaced with a distributor. The magneto has a BTH advance/retart mechanism which I think is incorrect in its operation. The magneto is a clockwise rotation (viewed from the gear end) and the A/R mechanism need to be rotated clockwise to apply tension to the springs. Is this correct!!!!!!!! My assumption is: with the gear turning CW, the A/R centrifugal weights will cause the mechanism to rotate CCW with increased speed which would be against spring tension. In my case the spring IMG-20191019-WA0017_resized.jpg IMG-20191019-WA0019_resized.jpg tension is applied by CW rotation. Again need some advice.

·
6,627 Posts
Hi Ian,

I've moved this to main Classic, Vintage & Veteran Forum where more people will read it (you'd posted in the Vintage Technical Tips & Tricks sub-forum, which for posting TT&T, not asking for 'em ;)).

Regards,

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The distributor has an auto advance mechanism inside it, so you don’t use a pinion with another auto advance in it.

1585211871816.gif

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
don’t use a pinion with another auto advance in it.
The A/R mechanism I mentioned is related to the magneto I removed and hence replaced with a distributor.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
An over-rich mixture can make a bike run ok while pulling, then run heavily when the load is light.

I know nothing about Solex carbs. If it has a choke, see if enriching with a little bit of choke while it’s “jibbing” makes it worse or better. If it makes it worse, your problem may be richness. If it makes it better, the problem may be weakness.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
That auto advance looks ok, but try it on the bike: does it make the timing more advanced or more retarded, when you move the star shaped bit against spring pressure?

Same goes for the distributor.

Anti clockwise mags, auto advance pinions and Distributors are probably more common than the clockwise equipment you need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts