Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Trophy 1200 (02) has started sounding lumpy on tick over and stumbles when opening the throttle below 2500 rpm, it had it's 12,000 mile service 2,000 miles ago and had new spark plugs fitted. Any suggestions as to where to to start fault finding, i was thinking of checking for a loose plug lead and then carb balance?

Bob.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Hate to ask, but..is the choke pulling all the way off??

Start with the simplest of things: Jim

·
Registered
338 Posts
Check the fuel and vacum hoses and replace with a heavier wall tubing and new retaining clips, as that proved to be the solution to my roughness. The original lines use thin wall tubing, and after being subject to heat and vibration over time, do not perform as required. :???:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried the spraying water trick and the water evaperated a an equal rate on all four pipes. The rubber tubing and retainers all loof Ok. Checking the carb balance is next is it?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Another simple question. Is the bike warmed up? Mine often stumbles if not warmed up on a cold morning.

I had a problem with the petcock once that caused the fuel flow to be restricted. At times it would cause her to stumble when I would try to open her up quickly.

·
Registered
62 Posts
There can be a multitude of causes.

Since his is at idles I dought if it's the vacumm line that opens the fuel petcock.

Could still be coil realted since my would be fine until I opened the throttle and cylinder presure buildt up. Other have had coils give other symptoms.

There are carb filters in the tee between each carb. Must pull the air box to get to they put this is a painful exercise.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah..... Now you come to mention it, the problem 1st started, almost immediately after i had the bike serviced, where it would stumble until it warmed up. At the time i put it down to not letting it warm up enough, but the problem occurs all the time now, cold or warm. IT will tick over smoothly for a few moments and then faulter. Does that give any one any more indications as what the problem might be before i start pulling things to bits. How easy is it to check the coils and can it be done with a multi meter. The haynes manual gives a few checks that can be performed but also says contact triumph dealer ££££££.

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found out the cause of the rough running, a loose connection to one of the coils. What type of spark plug are best for the trophy. The Triumph handbook and the Haynes manual quote NGK DPR 9EA-9, but mine has been fitted with NGK DPR 8EA-9. Whats the difference?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts