Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, hello to all. This is my first post since getting a T100 Centenary two weeks ago. I had to sell my last one 3 years ago to help buy a house so am very pleased to be back.

I took the bike out on a very hot UK day yesterday. After about 2hrs of mixed motorway and back lane riding I pulled up at the traffic lights and the bike was idling really rough. It then died. It started ok again and got me home which was only 5mins away. I took it out again this morning and, once warmed up, it ran and idled fine but I'm a bit concerned over what happened yesterday.

Do Bonnies not like hot weather or is it just mine?

It's running Norman Hyde after market pipes and has been up-jetted on the carbs to suit (done by the previous owner) and this is the first problem I've experienced. Anyone else had similar problems?

Thanks

Gary

Gary

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Unfortunately the owner probably jetted it wrong or screwed up something and now you are going to have to dial it in yourself. You should start by going over everything he did to the bike and FIND the problem. Post the results and someone here will be able to help you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've no reason to think that he was anything less than competent as he was very mechanically savvy and was retiring from biking due to ill health. I also have the receipt for the jets which are the right ones for the Hyde exhausts. Having also checked them, they're correct.

Perhaps a larger set of jets would still be a good idea though?

·
Registered
453 Posts
You would probably benefit from a good carb balancing. Made a world of difference for me. Make your own manometer or buy one for ~$100. Dealer usually charges $60+

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Firstly, hello to all. This is my first post since getting a T100 Centenary two weeks ago. I had to sell my last one 3 years ago to help buy a house so am very pleased to be back.

I took the bike out on a very hot UK day yesterday. After about 2hrs of mixed motorway and back lane riding I pulled up at the traffic lights and the bike was idling really rough. It then died. It started ok again and got me home which was only 5mins away. I took it out again this morning and, once warmed up, it ran and idled fine but I'm a bit concerned over what happened yesterday.

Do Bonnies not like hot weather or is it just mine?

It's running Norman Hyde after market pipes and has been up-jetted on the carbs to suit (done by the previous owner) and this is the first problem I've experienced. Anyone else had similar problems?

Thanks

Gary

Gary
Hello Gary...

Helped my best friend David with his rough idle problem.. and after apr 50 hours jetting end rejetting... thinking and using all the connections with delers and so on.. we found the problem...
The coil was broken... im not sure this is right in your case but its worth checking out??

good luck! Kenneth

1 - 5 of 5 Posts