Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to remove the screws on a 95 Tbird brake rotor disc. They have loctite on them and they are a B!&[email protected] to remove. Does anyone have any tricks?

I'm trying to send my rims out for powder coating but I cant get these stupid rotors off.

I've tried ratchet, breaker bar, heat, and assorted cleaners.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Rotor Screws

I'm trying to remove the screws on a 95 Tbird brake rotor disc. They have loctite on them and they are a B!&[email protected] to remove. Does anyone have any tricks?

I'm trying to send my rims out for powder coating but I cant get these stupid rotors off.

I've tried ratchet, breaker bar, heat, and assorted cleaners.
I cant help you with the removal process, but given that they are so tight I would not re-use them again. Buy new ones.

Big debate on this over on the Sprint site. And collective wisdom says, single use only.

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
They are a bitch to remove, no doubt about it. I had to saw slots in mine and use an impact driver, after the socket heads rounded out. I may even have had to resort to a chisel at one point.

Heat does help.

I managed to score some Titanium replacements for less that the original replacement parts.

·
Registered
671 Posts
heat has always worked on mine and the Tiger... hot air gun and decent hexhead socket.. I also put the heat gun on the socket to transfer some heat into the fastener itself? dunno if that helped or not...

·
Registered
280 Posts
I ran into the same problem 3 weeks ago. I was attempting to replace the rotor since it had a lot of "run-out." I used a propane torch (carefully) to heat the bolts. All but one, of course, came out with quite a bit of resistance. The last one wouldn't budge and I destroyed the bolt head. Tried an extractor - snapped that off too! I ended up grinding the head off the bolt to remove the rotor.

I never thought of cutting a slot channel in the head but that sounds like a good idea. Best of luck!

Noel

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm just gonna keep going at it. Hopefully extra heat will get them off.

I definitely wont be able to use the screws again. They're all jacked up. lol

·
Registered
980 Posts
Lay the wheel on the floor an pour a little parrafin on the bolts overnight, it seems to soften the loctite.
Then the following day use a heat gun on the bolt, at least 5 minutes per bolt before you attemt to remove it and it will come out.
It's the loctite that holds them in, so long as the heat has softened it so it comes out easily I don't see any reason why you can't re use, just make sure you use loctite when re fitting.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, we got some of the screws out with heat and brute force and the others we got out by drilling through them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just had another conversation with my powder coater and he said next time I have that problem to bring it to him and he can put it in his pc oven and that should soften the loctite.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts