Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 New off the floor Sprint ST ABS.

So, about two weeks ago, I went to adjust the rotation of my lever.
No problem with the brake side... but with the clutch lever there is some manner of electrical connection that prevents it from being lowered past a certain point. Am I trying to rotate it too far, or have others had a similar issue.

The next thing is, I've adjusted the slack out of my throttle cable 4 times now... Is this cable potentially defective? Or do the cables take a little longer to "wear in?"

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
The switch enables the circuit to the starter. Relying on memory, I believe it will indeed limit the lever rotation.

If you are adjusting the throttle cable slack at the adjuster near the grip you need to understand that it only does minor adjustments since it is only on one cable (opening) of a two cable system. A full adjustment is done at the throttle end.

BTW, cables do not "wear in".

Since the bike is new, and you think there is too much throttle cable slack, why not take it back to the dealer and have them do it? After all, they were paid to do it as part of the dealer prep.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Steves, I had the same problem trying to rotate my levers down. I like them to be symmetrical so I ended up leaving them basically stock, maybe down just a tad. After a while it seems OK. The brake side was limited by the hydraulic fitting hitting the riser, the clutch as you stated.

I also had way too much throttle slack when delivered and was never happy till I made the adjustment at the throttle body end. Kind of a hassle as you must pull the tank but really no big deal. Since then it's been fine plus you can recover some adjustment range at the lever end.

cheers

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info... I will have them adjust the cable next time I'm there... I've got a project bike that still isn't running right and requires more attention.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Symetrical or whatever, the right position for both levers is with you in riding position, hands on bars and fingers in the levers.
Adjust the levers to where your wrists are straight, no angle. If there is an angle your wrists will start killing you.
Then we'll have to go through the, "My wrists/arms/shoulders are killing me. Do I need ape hanger bars? threads.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
There isn't much you can do for the clutch lever, since the interference is significant. However, you can relieve the brake lever a good bit with little effort.

I loosened the clamp on my right control, and then rotated the assy to where it contacted the HB mount. Backing off a bit, I put a piece of paper I'd just sprayed some black paint on (had to make my own 'carbon paper'...) under it, and marked the point on the HB mount that was touching. Made an eyeball measurement of the angle the brake rez mount has to the HB mount.

Took the whole control assy off, and hung it with some of that plastic coated wire the kids toys come packaged with nowadays.

Put a couple of passes of masking tape about an inch apart on either side of the mark. Took a 1" sanding spool with coarse paper on it in a portable drill. Holding the drill at the same angle (roughly) as that of the rez, sand a 'trough' in the HB mount. Easy does it.

Hold the handlebar control assy back up (no need to bolt it up yet) and check the location and angle of your 'cut'. Repeat as necessary until you have something that suffices. I sanded a trough the better part of a quarter inch deep in the mount. Your requirement may be different.

It doesn't take a lot of material removal to get a good angular drop on the lever.

The material removed is part of the 'style' of the bar, and not the strength, so weakening the HB mount is not an issue. Now, if you cut it halfway off, you might have a problem.

When I finished, I sanded the 'cut' with some finer grades of paper, then painted it with some silver spraypaint to prevent corrosion under the powdercoat.

After reassembly, my two 'cover' fingers rest naturally on the brake, without having to lift them above the line of my forearm and wrist. The 'mod' is invisible.

Again, the clutch side has a lot more interference issues, but the same thing could be done on that side. However, I do not 'cover' my clutch lever, so the unnatural angle isn't that big a deal.

HTH!

pr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts