Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who needs a fuel gauge or worries about running out of fuel on a classic triple? If/When you feel the sputter you just reach down and hit the reserve and start looking around for a station.

Last week I learned how imporatant it is to return the petcock back to the full open position. I knew it was getting close from milage but when I reached down to hit the reserve position only to find it still in reserve from the last time I cut it too close. Arghhh. Well maybe theres a few drop left if I try the normonal open position??? Hey, the tank was empty! No reserve left. Now I know what they mean when they talk about the Legend being heavy. That sucker is hard to push!!! Thankfully a station was close and nobody of consequence saw this idiot mistake. I confess for the benefi for anyone on this list foolish enough to fall victim. Live and learn!

[ This message was edited by: RJScotti on 2006-11-20 10:35 ]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Been there. Done that.

Found that for every 500 ft., they double their weight.

Joe

[ This message was edited by: Adventure96 on 2006-11-20 11:06 ]

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've got into the turn it back to on as soon as I pull into the petrol station, then fill it up, I find if you go in & pay first that makes you forget to do it when you return to the bike.

·
Premium Member
9,797 Posts
The first week I had the Ural, I found out how bad its fuel economy was.
Switched to reserve on the freeway on the way to work and decided to get gas on the way home.

I didn't make it

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have a routine at the servo. Three things to remember:1 Reset trip meter 2 turn fuel tap back to main 3 Pay the dude inside.
I get fuel mostly at the same servo, and he gets real angry if I dont do number 3. Last time I forgot to pay the poleece were a knocking on my door. All good though I went down and paid the man and the po-leece were all happy with me. :-D

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
If you are in the "correct" habit of switching the fuel off every time you switch the engine off then this will never happen.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yep the only problem of using the "correct" habit is then I have enough gas left in the carbs to get my exactly out of my driveway, and down the really big hill before the bike dies and I have to wait for the bowls to fill back up and restart it. Wanna feel like an idiot, run out of gas 3 blocks from your house, don't worry, you're neighbors won't laugh in front of you anyway.

·
Registered
254 Posts
On 2006-11-21 09:02, MickMaguire wrote:
If you are in the "correct" habit of switching the fuel off every time you switch the engine off then this will never happen.
Yep. the first time you head out on a beautiful day to go for a ride and find that the fuel went thru the open petcock and leaked into the sump and all over the ground, you become a firm believer. Nothing worse than trying to find a filter and oil while your riding buddies leave you behind. Now i have gas, extra filters and oil in the shop for the next time i "forget".

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts

Sorry to Raise the dead and dig up old threads but this is quite a concern for me, especially as I am in work and my Tbird is sitting at home with the fuel tap in the 'on' position. I have a manual (turned up mysteriously one day) but I still don`t have a handbook, which has all the "operating info for dummies."
It was 10 years ago, when I last had a carb bike with a fuel tap. It was vacuum feed so, even if you disconnected the fuel line with the tap in the on position, no fuel would escape.

DO WE HAVE TO TURN THE FUEL TAP OFF WHEN THE BIKE ISN`T RUNNING?

What does the handbook say about this?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
"DO WE HAVE TO TURN THE FUEL TAP OFF WHEN THE BIKE ISN`T RUNNING?"

the petcock on t-birds is NOT vacuum operated unfortunately , so yes it's a good idea to turn it off when not in use .

HTH

·
Registered
80 Posts
Besides the handbook warns about the risk of fire if you leave your fuel tap ON and there is a leakeage of fuel somewhere in the hoses. It may be a little exaggerated but anyway is what the handbook says. Greetings.

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
Thanks for that, I`ll start getting into the habit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I heard a story about what happens when you leave the fuel tap on and the motor fills up with fuel and you try to start it. Apparently conrods are known to bend!

The other problem I've had is when I've put the bike in for a service and mechanics for reasons only known to themselves always turn the tap to reserve. So now it's the first thing I check when picking the bike up after a service.

·
Premium Member
9,797 Posts
The standard petcock can be replaced with one of the vacuum type from a Kawasaki.

Part #51023-1267.

List price is about $70.00

1 - 16 of 16 Posts