Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my Triumph Scrambler as she stands at the moment.
The Tank will be painted shorty to resemble Gene Romero's 750 Triumph Trackmaster.

Trying to get my Scrambler to match the Romero bike as closley as possible. First stage is the paint and at a later date the pipes seat etc

Should keep me busy.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Very nice! If you are really after authentic flatrack look you'll need to swap the rear wheel for a 19" unit. I put an 18" rear wheel on one of my T100's, but unless you intend to use Maxis DTR rubber the tire choices in 19" are extremely limited.

Burrito lives a few miles from me; I'm sure he'll have some comments :D

Dick

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice! If you are really after authentic flatrack look you'll need to swap the rear wheel for a 19" unit. I put an 18" rear wheel on one of my T100's, but unless you intend to use Maxis DTR rubber the tire choices in 19" are extremely limited.
This will be an ongoing project as I use the bike, or did on a daily basis. Bigger wheels are defiantly on my list of must haves. The next stage will be to have the bike shortend by 4-5", a custom seat similar to the Romero bike, Zard low 2-1 pipes, and those larger wheels and Maxis tires.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well, the good news is it won't be hard to equal the Hp. of those old pushrod engines, I believe the best they got out of them was around 70 at least that's what Gene told a buddy of mine at San Jose a few years ago. Pieman notice they ran big K&N's back in the day, most dirt trackers on the circuit still only use K&N to this day.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Well, the good news is it won't be hard to equal the Hp. of those old pushrod engines, I believe the best they got out of them was around 70 at least that's what Gene told a buddy of mine at San Jose a few years ago. Pieman notice they ran big K&N's back in the day, most dirt trackers on the circuit still only use K&N to this day.
When I was racing we were still limited to 30.5" (500 cc) OHV engines, and my Triumph 500's would put out 62-63 HP reliably. I suspect Gene was referring to his 500 cc bikes, as the last few years when 750cc OHV bikes were allowed they were very competitive with the KRs - more than 70HP! I'll ask Burrito the next time I see him.

I really like what you are doing with your bike!! - one of Gen'es trackers is in the National Motorcycle Museum near Birmingham. I about fell over earlier this year when visiting there and seeing his ratty old racer 6,000 miles from Ascot.

Dick

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't no if that's rear wheel hp. or crank there is a difference. My friend was just talking to Gene about how much San Jose has changed in the last 25-30 years it was a casual conversation. I'm assuming that low 70's figure was rear wheel hp. I try to keep my replies on the light side in here I think to many people get to serious about exact figures in this forum.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Please, please go and bother Gene with a silly ass question on Sunday night I need another person to correct me in this forum. The suspense is killing me and I thought it was just the English guys who got so much satisfaction out of correcting people. See you guys good luck with your bike Ringadingadoo-I'm outa here...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I am sure you are aware that Classic Bike is close to completing a Romero replica project - might be some ideas in there for you.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am sure you are aware that Classic Bike is close to completing a Romero replica project - might be some ideas in there for you.
Yes I've seen that bike and to be honest i don't like it, there is something just wrong with the way it looks.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please, please go and bother Gene with a silly ass question on Sunday night I need another person to correct me in this forum. The suspense is killing me and I thought it was just the English guys who got so much satisfaction out of correcting people. See you guys good luck with your bike Ringadingadoo-I'm outa here...
Your comment are always welcome here Varna2Win.

http://motochimp.blogspot.com

If anybody has any images of the Romero bike i would love to see them

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
it's the bars

ringadingdoo,

I saw the finished article in this month's classic bike, but the handlebars are all wrong. Another attempt was made by another magazine a couple of years ago to rebuild a Kenny Roberts trackmaster Yamaha. same thing, they stuck a pair of bloody Renthals on it. spoiled the boat for a hap'worth of tar.

Back in the 70's, Martin Harrison of Bike magazine, had a go at building a flat tracker and he understood the importance of the bar shape. He tried to bend a set of his own. I never saw the finished article, but I don't know why they just didn't send away for the proper bar in the first place.

I can remember wanting to build one myself, after seeing 'On Any Sunday' at the Manx gp in 1972. Our local paper shop, R.S. McColl, used to get in American bike mags, I bought them all, Cycle World, Motorcycle and I remember an ad in the back of one of them, for the 'Hap Jones' Gene Romero flat track bar. I don't know if Hap Jones is still in business, but I'd buy the bars before I did anything else.

I found this for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnbV_2T3aSM

·
Registered
267 Posts
dkreidel, quote from motochimp, ringadingadoo's blog. Romero' factory 750 Triumph for 1972 season. Axtell motor 72 hp. at 7250 rpm. It was the last English bike to win a mile race - San Jose 1973.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
dkreidel, quote from motochimp, ringadingadoo's blog. Romero' factory 750 Triumph for 1972 season. Axtell motor 72 hp. at 7250 rpm. It was the last English bike to win a mile race - San Jose 1973.
Axe and Mike Libby built **The Best** Triumph motors, so if it produced 72 hp my 500 wasn't making 62 HP. thanks!

Dick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts