Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone "in the know" tell me the differences? I'm trying to decide between the 2008 standard rocket vs a 2012 roadster. I know the 2012 has abs, but I'm not sure whats changed between the two models/years.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oops didnt realize they had a rocket section..thanks for moving it.

Ok, so does anyone know?

So far it looks like the differences from a '08 standard rocket to a '11 roadster are:
  • Abs
  • more black bits
  • pegs moved more back and down (Can I retrofit this?! I much prefer the foot/shifter/brake placement on the new bike)
  • increase drive train stuff (shaft/clutch) due to increased HP
  • bars are closer
  • softer suspension and seat
  • seat raised a little

Is that about it?! I'm trying ot decide between the two because the '08 is new w/full warranty (not sure why it was soooo left over) and $11,500 vs a new '11 at $15K.

Oh ya and pricing, do the above seem fair? My local dealer doesn't deal at all. Is that common for triumph dealers to sell at invoice? In fact, I think they charge a $500 setup.

Thanks for any replies!

·
Registered
118 Posts
the biggest change for me apart from the things already mentioned are the hiddeous massive twin exhaust, this in itself is enough to make me NOT want to upgrade to the roadster.
i know you can buy aftermarket smaller ones which do look good, but at over £600 they still dont look that good.
the older models with the three exhausts look far better than the roadster IMHO.:p
for a saving of $3500 aswell if they are going to honour a full 2 year warranty on it then its a no brainer, go for the standard (it will be a classic if its an '08 model)
not sure about the american market but in the uk you would pay around £9500 for a second hand '09 with only 3 months warranty and a new roadster will cost you around £ 11500, the second hands ones are really holding thier value.
again just my opinion.:)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Stealth. Was there a big HP or driveability change? I understand the clutch is new and they played with HP and TQ #'s, but I'm confused by the year and model changes. I think I read the new bike is roughly 14% more tq/hp, is that right?

I basically want to know what I'll be missing so I can personally gauge whether or not I should shell out the extra $3.5-4K. The new black bits and ABS are almost enough for me to say "yes, do it", but it puts me over my budget, so its a tough call.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Sub;196084 Was there a big HP or driveability change? I understand the clutch is new and they played with HP and TQ #'s said:
The Gauges are new with Gas gauge & gear position on the Roadster! The 08 has all the upgrades and is a Fine bike,but the closer Bars & moved back pegs or the best change for me. you can't go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Same engine, same gear ratios (I think) so if you tune them the same, they should produce the same power. The mid mounted pegs would be a big difference for me. Don't buy a bike for the bars or seat - you can always change them. The ABS would be a big selling point for me, but I'd like to try them first.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've read that people have converted to the new peg setup and I think I will much prefer that after sitting on a 2011. It feels perfect to me. How hard is it to convert to the new position for the pegs/controls. Did anyone perhaps do a write up with part #'s?!? :)

I was going to see if I could work that change into the deal.

Thanks for the replies so far! It really helps. I'm leaning towards the '08 at this point.

·
Registered
118 Posts
the pull back bars on the '08 classic, if thats what you are being offered, left my wrists at a funny angle and on long trips made them ache, i changed them for a set of bars from an original rocket 3 and the bike was much more comfortable and easier to handle as a result. i then changed to t-bars but that was just for looks really.
the gear ratio is the same.... however on the classic, the bike (as standard is restricted to 128mph, this is only because of the 'stability issue' of the bike with the triumph panniers on. if you get a de-cat and a set of tors and then get the triumph tune, this will illiminate that restriction.
the roadster is suppose to be 14% more power but when i rode one i really didnt know the difference, the gear box felt a little smoother maybe and the peg position made it a little easier to control at slow speeds but...... its not worth an extra $3500.
in my opinion, if you were looking to buy a USED '08 with say 1000 miles on the clock with limited warranty for £11500 or a brand new roadster for $15000 then id go for the roadster for peace of mind.
but seeing as you are being offered a brand new classic with full 2 year waranty then thats what i would go for. but thats just me. ( i really dont like those two pipes on the roadster).
which ever one you go for you will love as we all do.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Same engine, same gear ratios (I think) so if you tune them the same, they should produce the same power. The mid mounted pegs would be a big difference for me. Don't buy a bike for the bars or seat - you can always change them. The ABS would be a big selling point for me, but I'd like to try them first.
The Roadster uses a different exhaust that has to work around the ABS unit.
On my dyno the Standard/Classics make more power in stock form, as well as after mapping. With an aftermarket exhaust, they make the roughly the same output. However some exhaust systems are a bit more restrictive on the Roadster and Touring models due to having to work around the ABS unit.

The peg arrangement of the Roadster can be added to the Classics/standards.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Power-Tripp, thats great to know. I was definitely going to do an exhaust swap for something with a bit more character. Any opinions there? I've looked a lot on youtube and it seems the exhausts either make them sound like a diesel tractor or a clanky honda civic. Its so hard to gauge the sound.

BTW, do you have to remap after doing just an exhaust? Can this be done at the dealer, or only if you buy their aftermarket silencers?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Don't let the extra money keep you from buying the Roadster if that is what floats your boat! If you don't buy what you really want, you will be pissed and unhappy later on. Like two days after ya buy it.

When I bought the Street Glide I just traded in on my R3, what I really wanted was a Road King. But the dealer talked me out of the Road King. I was sorry I purchased the Glide the minute I rode it home. I knew I did not want a non removable fairing, but I had to live with it for three years. Nice bike, but not what I really wanted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sub, I have a Roadster and love it. My riding buddy has the Classic and he loves it.

If I had a choice today like the one you are face with I would go for the Classic, 'cos there really isn't much difference!

Yes the pegs are a bit different and the pipes are different but fundamentally it's the same bike, and you will probably change stuff anyway eh?

Both are awesome, and as for power, there is no way I can lose my buddy when riding, not a chance!;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
The hand grips, gauges, gauge options are different as well.

Buy the Roadster.... matte black version !!!

Friend and I was looking at Triumph Roadsters as well as a few used classics awhile back when I was kicking around the idea of buying a Triumph. I was going to buy new because I wanted my next bike to be only driven by me. It only had .4 miles on it another words. He asked me what I thought about the classic mufflers and we both agreed we liked the Roadster mufflers better. We just couldn't grasp the idea of having two mufflers on one side and just one on the other. I mean later on I learned that is what part of the bike that makes it a Triumph, but I realize now however that Triumph saw it the way we initially did so therefore they went with two "hideous" mufflers. Everyone has different tastes and styles but I like the fat mufflers myself. I changed mine over to TORs later on and love the sound. Been trying to get back down to Power Tripp so to tune me up for max torque and horse power after the muffler install.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ended up riding a thunderbird storm and loving it. It has the character and some other bits I was looking for.. now to find a way to buy it! :)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
For me, the 3 mufflers is unique. Triumph never had a bike with 2 mufflers on one side and one on the other. The Trident had one on either side.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.