Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '06 Classic developed problems the last couple of days of Bike Week. I rode about 25 miles north of Daytona to a resturant and all was fine, but when I went to leave it started to miss real bad and wouldn't run on all three unless I got over 3k rpm. I made a run for the interstate to try to reach the Triumph dealer and as soon as I got on I-95 the limp mode kicked in and it ran fine all the way to the dealer. I shut it off and when I re-started it it was missing like before. The Triumph tech was at the racetrack all day Friday and Saturday so no one looked at it. It's back in Ohio now and as soon as it warms up a little I'm going to have a look myself before I take it to my local dealer. Any thoughts guys?
P.S. The bike has 26k miles on it.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Well, if it ran OK in limp-home mode, that means your fuel system is good, your injectors and ignitors are (probably) OK, and the ECU is getting commands to them just fine. That leaves one or more sensors as the likely culprit. Unless you have the means to diagnose and/or replace those, I suspect you'll probably need to leave it to your mechanic.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Wimpy,
I had a similar problem last year with my '07.
Turned out to be a coil wire on one of the coils.
It looked hooked up tight, it was screwed on tightly, but internally, it had slipped out.
Had you take it to the dealer to get it sorted out.
Good luck,
skip

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. On a lighter note I was driving home from Daytona on Sunday and was about 15 miles from Atlanta on I-75 in stop and go Nascar traffic when I saw a pick-up pulling one of the Triumph 5th wheel trailers broke down on the side of the road. I pulled over to see if I could be of help and the guy said it was missing and cutting out real bad like there was water in the fuel and I said that's funny I have a Rocket in the trailer with the same symptons! We both had a good laugh!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: It finally reached 50 deg. today and I lifted the tank and there is a "T" connection for vacuum lines and one was off, re-connected it and all was fine. Good day to buy a lottery ticket! Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts