Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I own a 2005 Rocket - had it from new - it has done 21000 klm - - I have been told by my triumph agent that it has developed a leak from the front seal of the diff - where the drive shaft enters - they are saying that this seal is a no servicable part - new diff required at a cost of $6000 - needless to say that I`m not impressed - can anyone put some light on whether this seal is replaceable and if anyone else has had any problems with this seal ? all the best guys .

·
Registered
855 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
The Sky Is Falling,,,The Sky Is Falling

Usually, I don't join chicken little gang of panic, but it sounds like your dealer should be helping you out a lot more on this issue.

Go the extra steps and check that recall as suggested. Also, contact the appropriate persons at Triumph to get some help and support.

Those rear drives did have initial problems to the extent that Triumph did a complete retro-fit of the entire assembly on all bikes effected.

$6000, you might as well buy a whole bike off ebay for a few dollars more for parts or something.

But, try the other routes first. It is possible that the shop that you are using might not have your satisfaction at the top of their list. Although they certainly should.

Keep us posted as to what happens please.

Cheers !!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree with Pig9r and Apollo 18. If the dealer was worth their salt they would contact Triumph and get some kind of resolution.

If Triumph won't take care of it, I would check how bad the leak is for myself. It doesn't sound as if you noticed anything before you took it in? Granted nobody likes little puddles of oil everywhere but $6000 will buy an awful lot of gear oil.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Granted nobody likes little puddles of oil everywhere but $6000 will buy an awful lot of gear oil.
Maybe, but it won't buy much time in a hospital.

The potential consequences of accidentally letting the drive train run low on oil are pretty drastic. This sort of problem definitely needs attention.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Obviously $6000 won't buy you much of a hospital stay.

Without seeing how bad its leaking, its tough to say. I also find it really hard to believe the seal itself is unserviceable.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
There's nothing "tough to say" about it. Unless you're willing to check the oil level every single ride, the bearing can sieze without warning. If it's already been too low even once, you're running on borrowed time.

The repair requires a precision hydraulic press capable of 500+ psi. If the bearing and seal aren't in place perfectly square, sudden failure is a possibility. This is not a job for a shade-tree mechanic. That's why Triumph insisted on replacing the whole assembly at their expense during the recall, not replacing the seal. If they had thought it could be done cheaper, you can bet they would have preferred to do so.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Over the years I have become quite cynical when it comes to predicitons of impending doom when it comes to mechanical things. How much do you trust the dealer?

Without seeing or being able to gauge the amount of oil leaking over a period of time it is "tough to say". I mean how bad is it leaking anyway? I would have to see it for myself. Thats all I'm trying to say here.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
And all I am saying is, it doesn't matter with this unit how badly it's leaking! Diagnostically speaking, on this issue, it doesn't even matter whether you trust your dealer or not! If it's leaking at all, it's serious business with this machine...there is NO rate of leakage that is safe. If you don't respect what this kind of horsepower and torque can do when a bearing siezes, you frankly have no business owning a Rocket.

Sure, the mechanic's knowledge and the dealer's integrity are important concerns--but only insofar as getting the drive assembly replaced on terms that are fair to the customer, not WHETHER it should be done. Pig9r and Apollo 18 are right that the dealer should work with Triumph on resolving this; but if a free replacement is not in the cards, Pig9r is also right that it shouldn't cost anywhere near $6000, either. But simply not doing the job on the basis of rationalizing the problem as too insignificant to spend the money on, is not a realistic option.

Again: Triumph wouldn't have insisted on replacing the whole assembly in the recall if there had been a cheaper way to replace the seal safely enough, now, would they?

·
Registered
31 Posts
There's other options here also, I'd wager a competent machine shop could replace the seal for far less.

As for respecting the Rocket? Its a machine plain and simple.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Just curious as a 2005 TR owner, did you look into whether it was the TRC or TR special Edition. If your not compfortable with your dealer did you get a second opinion..? I remember reading an article where a few shade tree machanics have broken off the gear drain plugs and dropped them into the differential while trying to retrieve them.Like Diego said, it's serious business with this bike. Thinking of this bike seizing up at full throttle would be a nightmare.! Keep us posted 2005 Rocket owners want to know.;)

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
There's other options here also, I'd wager a competent machine shop could replace the seal for far less.
Sure, if: (1) you can be very sure how competent and well equipped they are, and (b) if they could get the part. At the risk of being tedious in mentioning this a third time, I'd be interested in your theory about why Triumph didn't take that route in the recall.

As for respecting the Rocket? Its a machine plain and simple.
And your point is...? IMO, anybody who doesn't respect what ANY machine can do, especially when something goes wrong with it, poses a danger to himself and others. And the fact remains, the more size, weight, and power involved, the greater the likelihood of adverse consequences.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you don't respect what this kind of horsepower and torque can do when a bearing siezes, you frankly have no business owning a Rocket.
This was your statement. 140 hp isn't all that much.

I've seen what happens first hand when bearings seize on rotating machines up to 4000 hp. If the bearing locks up, the race will rotate in the housing, or the shaft in the bearing, if there is enough pwr/tq to do so. If the power is not sufficient enough to do this, friction increases until the power required to turn the shaft is greater than the power available. The shaft stops turning. If the bearing fails spectacularly, metal fragments can (and do) lodge in other rotating parts and can cause the device to quickly grind to a halt destroying gears and other bearings.

Bearings always give signs something is wrong. Increased vibration, increased power consumption or unusual noises.

As for Triumph replacing units as opposed to rebuilding them;

1. Not every dealer is in close proximity to a reputable machine shop.

2. For Triumph to do this on a national level would involve too much paperwork. Finding a machine shop, negotiating a price per unit, supplying parts and etc.. Not to mention establishing limits of liability for each party.

3. Somebody (dealer) still has to take the old unit off. Turnaround time could be unacceptable.

If I were Triumph and was looking at hundreds of possible rebuilds, I would find replacing easier than rebuilding.

I don't take anyone's word as gospel (dealer or individual). If it were my bike I would look at all the options before blindly following anyone's advice.

·
Registered
430 Posts
been reading this with interest, i would harass triumph about this directly, as for repair/replace. as has been said any machine shop worth their salt should be able to help you,

as for the recall i suspect the faulty units went back to triumph for rebuild anyway so it would not have cost them a completely new unit, those units then may have even ended up on new bikes,

car manufactures do it regularly with gearboxes.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
...The shaft stops turning...
Precisely the problem. The shaft stops turning. The rear wheel locks up. At the speeds a lot of Rocketeers tend to be going on a daily basis, or in as hard a turn as many of them tend to do... you crash. That's quite apart from what may simultaneously happen inside the powerplant, which can also be pretty expen$ive to deal with.

I'm not speaking theoretically. If you had been here in the early days when the first few drive shaft failures occured prior to the recall, you would remember how catastrophic those incidents were. (Or for that matter, certain later gearbox incidents that also locked everything up abruptly.) And apparently there wasn't any meaningful warning, because they happened to experienced riders.

Your analysis of the reasons for recall replacement is reasonably sound, but is just as applicable to an individual trying to get the work done locally... ascertaining a shop's qualifications, finding the right part (the drive assembly is custom made for Triumph in Italy), and all the delay while everything is examined, parts are obtained, and the work is actually done.

I don't advocate blindly following anyone's advice, either! In particular, though, not someone who doesn't think there's anything to worry about. Where my own hide is concerned, I'm going to err on the side of safety if I am aware of the situation. I can't force anyone else to do the same, of course, but I'm certainly going to encourage them to apply sound common sense before they make their decision.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
been reading this with interest, i would harass triumph about this directly, as for repair/replace. as has been said any machine shop worth their salt should be able to help you,

as for the recall i suspect the faulty units went back to triumph for rebuild anyway so it would not have cost them a completely new unit, those units then may have even ended up on new bikes
They weren't rebuilt by Triumph. Even they didn't have the press needed. The units went back to the Italian vendor for inspection and possible remanufacture--folks who have a bit more hardware than a lot of the machine shops that most of us will ever deal with.

Don't "harass" anyone about it if you expect cooperation.

Don't go to Triumph immediately, either, until the dealer has attempted to deal with them. And believe only about half of what the dealer tells you about how hard they're trying. Some go to bat for customers much more effectively than others, but the dealer is always the starting point. If you've gone through the chain of command, Triumph will listen to you more thoroughly than if you go barging about like a loose cannon right from the start.

·
Registered
430 Posts
They weren't rebuilt by Triumph. Even they didn't have the press needed. The units went back to the Italian vendor for inspection and possible remanufacture--folks who have a bit more hardware than a lot of the machine shops that most of us will ever deal with.
basically what i said, back to triumph or who ever built it on triumphs behalf.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rocket 3 Diff problem?

hi all - firstly I would like to thank you all greatly for your replies - the news this end is that after my dealer initially told me Triumph Aust had refused a replacement they now will be replacing it - which is excellent news as the bike was 3 months outside factory warranty - Thank you very much Triumph Aust - I do have extended third party warranty on the bike but this was not going to come close to the replacement costs - all in all I feel quite relieved - I must mention though that when this fault was discovered the bike was at the dealers for a replacement of the gearbox/drive shaft seal - to have both front and rear seals go after 21000 klms does have me a bit concerned - I would be very interested if anyone else has had seal issues? - hopefully this is a very isolated problem - I will keep you posted to the final outcome. all the best guys

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
diff problem resolved

Hi all - well it took a little while but after about 8 weeks I have a new diff fitted compliments of Triumph Aust - Thanks heaps for that - considering she was 3 mths outside warranty I am very grateful.
also thanks to guys at MotoArena on the Gold Coast. They do a great job. cheers

1 - 20 of 47 Posts