Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
I could buy a motorcycle for the price. Don't have any experience but I would not consider a viable option. I wear my Aramid lined Hood jeans or Bohn Armor under regular jeans and just deal with the sweating and heat. If they were affordable, maybe but I would need to see some real world abrasion testing. I couldn't tell you about how the Hood jeans are in a crash or slide since I haven't crashed in them. More psychological than anything else.

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
These state UHMWPE fibre....aka Spectra aka Dyneema. A very good fibre indeed. I wear similar riding pants from Saint (https://www.saint.cc/stories-unbreakable-denim ; located in Australia). They have been CE certified with slide time ratings meeting/exceeding leather. I wear their Model 1 jeans with armoured knees/hips and can attest to the quality and breathability in hot weather. Saint typically has free/shipping/20-30% discount offerings a few times per year so that can help overcome the relatively steep pricing.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could buy a motorcycle for the price. Don't have any experience but I would not consider a viable option. I wear my Aramid lined Hood jeans or Bohn Armor under regular jeans and just deal with the sweating and heat. If they were affordable, maybe but I would need to see some real world abrasion testing. I couldn't tell you about how the Hood jeans are in a crash or slide since I haven't crashed in them. More psychological than anything else.
It's Hood jeans that I wear now and they are great in all but the high summer, then they are so uncomfortable they make riding much less of a pleasure especially on all day rides.

These state UHMWPE fibre....aka Spectra aka Dyneema. A very good fibre indeed. I wear similar riding pants from Saint (https://www.saint.cc/stories-unbreakable-denim ; located in Australia). They have been CE certified with slide time ratings meeting/exceeding leather. I wear their Model 1 jeans with armoured knees/hips and can attest to the quality and breathability in hot weather. Saint typically has free/shipping/20-30% discount offerings a few times per year so that can help overcome the relatively steep pricing.
Yes, that's the same material I think. I wouldn't buy online and ship from Australia, At that price I would need to try them on and be sure of the fit! They are super expensive, but not compared to leather and I really don't want to ride another summer in regular jeans. I still have a few months to think about it :smile2:

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
I believe Saint brand jeans are available in US at Revzilla
for example.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately I'm in the UK and there are no Saint dealers here at the moment.

Steve

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I have the original button fly Rokker jeans. They are fantastic! ... and pricey. But they are worth it. No matter the price, I don't view them as expensive jeans. I view them as very cheap insurance.

I thought the liner would be hot, but it is not. Maybe I'm not just that sensitive to heat, but I found out that it was also a direct barrier to the sun shining directly on my legs. They also were great to keep wind and rain out. With regards to the Rokker Tech single layer...any compromise in your protection is just that...a compromise.

I had a big accident wearing my Lean Angle jeans (also fully lined like the Rokkers, but I wasn't wearing them at the time) and despite major injuries... road rash wasn't among them. I have every confidence the Rokkers would have performed as well due to the full length lining.

One note though...I have the original Rokker button fly jeans. If you carry a sidearm IWB when you ride, especially a heavy one like a 1911, the button fly is a PITA when you have to take a leak. It's difficult if you don't undo your belt to work the fly, but if you undo your belt the gun tries to drag your pants down while you're trying to pee. . Sadly, my lovely Speed Triple was destroyed and if (when) I get another Speed I'll get these Rokkers instead because they have a zipper.

Yes. They are expensive. But going through what I did, I'll never wear single layer jeans or jeans that have patchwork protection. Like I said elsewhere, I don't see the Rokkers as expensive jeans...I see them as super cheap insurance. ...or priceless, depending on your point of view.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rokker-original-raw-jeans

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Moto Legends in Surrey are the people to ask they carry several different companies ranges . Online also look at Grin Factor Paranoid jeans . I also use Knox knee sleeves with armour or Hein Gericke flexible rubber armour ( it is heavier to wear but sits flat off the bike ). Moto Legends have a summer sale on at the moment Halvarssons jeans down to £50 in some sizes .

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the end I went to a retailer in London who stock the Rockkertec jeans and tried them on......I didn't find then comfortable at all, which surprised me a lot.

The shop owner suggested I try the John Doe Ironhead jeans which are super stretch and have a Coolmax liner as well as Kevlar so are much better in hot weather he said. I bought a pair and used them on a 12 day road trip riding in up to 32c for 6 to 8 hrs a day and they were great, the best jeans I have ever had. The only down side is they are supposed to be shower proof.......they are not! I have the light grey jeans which also helps reflect the heat but are prone to getting dirty, I am thinking of buying another pair of darker jeans for regular use.

Steve

·
Registered
97 Posts
For those concerned about the price of the Rokkers, the fabric they are made out of runs $25 a foot, retail. That means just the fabric to make a pair is going to run close to $150 (US $). Are they worth it? I don't know, but it doesn't look like anybody is gouging on 'em.

Sadly, because of the cost of the fabric, it's not likely we're going to see a wide range of fits for the jeans. Which is going to be a problem if the potential customer isn't looking for standard rise slim/regular fit jeans.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
That's why I like the Rokkers so much. A lot of jeans look like denim jeans and I guess, technically, are denim... but they don't feel like the Levi's I got to know as a kid. Even Levi's seldom feel like Levi's any longer. Some manufacturers even put Lycra for stretch mixed in with the denim.

Some folks like that. Not me. I like the feel and look of the raw denim. Want it softer? Wear them more.

Toss in some skid resistant full Dyneema liners? I'm all in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts