Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have discovered that my 1972 Triumph TR6 has a 1968 cylinder head. I am contemplating installing the correct rocker boxes and head studs. I have resolved the pushrod issue by using smaller cushions on the tappet block. My question is will 1972 rocker boxes fit on a 1968 head, apart from the gasket which I can make.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I don't know, but this was talked about in the last year or so. Was it on Britbike forum?? May be a good idea to join & ask there.
Don

·
Registered
355 Posts
Don't the '70+ heads have the rocker boxes with the locating pins/dowels whereas the pre 70 do not(?). I think there are subtle differences beyond that also but happy to be corrected.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know, but this was talked about in the last year or so. Was it on Britbike forum?? May be a good idea to join & ask there.
Don
Your right TR7V man, it was discussed on the Britbike forum, but there was no definitive answer. I am going to try it and see what happens.
Thanks to the others for there replies

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have discovered that my 1972 Triumph TR6 has a 1968 cylinder head. I am contemplating installing the correct rocker boxes and head studs. I have resolved the pushrod issue by using smaller cushions on the tappet block. My question is will 1972 rocker boxes fit on a 1968 head, apart from the gasket which I can make.
1972 rocker boxes will fit just fine on a 68 head. 68 boxes will also fit a 72.

however, the 72 boxes do not have as much metal around the inner headbolts, as they were designed for the two-piece headbolts with the 3/8-inch allen heads inside the rocker boxes.

if you use 72 rocker boxes, they really need the two-piece headbolts. any gaskets will fit, but the locating dowel holes in the boxes will not have locating dowels in the heads. i don't know whether this really matters. the later boxes need the 1972 head steady system, which is different from the 1968. that is awkward, but can be done.

which way are you wanting to go? 1968 rocker boxes or 1972 rocker boxes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have fitted late 1972 rocker boxes with the one piece inspection covers to the 1968 head installed on my 1972 TR6. I used the 2 part head studs, the only minor issue is the foot print of these boxes is slightly different because the 68 head does not have the extra area for the locating pins used from 1971 onwards
One part of the box only just meets the head, still no oil leaks after 6 months. The head steady is the single tie/strut that bolts to the top of both boxes and secures to the frame same as all OIF models I believe. At least now I won't have to take the engine out of the frame to lift the head and I can re-torque the head if and when required.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts