Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So these do not want to go in !
Any tricks ? Freeze them ? Soak in hot water ?
They’re genuine and they are as hard as the originals ..
they don’t want to go in without distorting and damaging their lip ... and will end up looking how the old ones looked when I took those out 😂
Never had this on a Jap swing arm before, they usually have pliable / rubbery seals rather than hard plastic like these Trumpet seals ..

Thanks

·
Registered
2000 Speed Triple 955i
995 Posts
Soaking in hot water should loosen them up, just dry them before installing them haha

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man. I’ve put them and the new bearings in the freezer , will leave them there for a couple of hours then try again and if that doesn’t work I’m going with hot water .
I’ve plenty to do while I’m waiting 😂

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
By all means you can try freezing the bearings but not the seals, like @RampantParanoia said use heat to make them more pliable. Also there should usually be a slight chamfer on the hole to help start the bearings and seals, if there isn't maybe run around the sharp edge with some emery, and some lube will help.

·
Registered
2000 Speed Triple 955i
995 Posts
Yeah freezing the seals will make them less pliable so harder to get in

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah freezing the seals will make them less pliable so harder to get in
well problem solved anyway , first frozen seal went it much easier , the big one on the right side still didn’t want to go in, 5 minutes in the kettle sorted that . Still bemused at how hard & plasticky these are , barely any flex or give in them .
Onwards & upwards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts