Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 05 Sprint which is roasting the underneath of my thighs:eek:, I understand later bikes have some extra sponge/foam filler piece to help prevent the heat from the engine from doing this? Does anyone have an info?

Also I read/heard that the rectifier was repositioned on newer bikes because of heat, if so where is it now?

If it's already been discussed at length, (no body wants to keep writing/listening to the same story) could someone point me to a thread that covers this.:)

( I did try the Search first but it kept giving me error messages and to contact the administrater, posted below :confused: )

For admin:
Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing or mismatched.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

·
Registered
286 Posts
A new pipe help me out. I got the IXIL pipe and it cut the heat down by over 1/2. road home yesterday it was 93 with at heat index of 103, not much heat on my legs now at all.. I also had my water vest on for the first time all yr..

·
Registered
85 Posts
You might want to contact your local Triumph dealer...
They put the foam kit on mine for free because it was considered a warrenty/recall issue. You may be able to get the same deal.

I have an 05 Sprint which is roasting the underneath of my thighs:eek:, I understand later bikes have some extra sponge/foam filler piece to help prevent the heat from the engine from doing this? Does anyone have an info?

Also I read/heard that the rectifier was repositioned on newer bikes because of heat, if so where is it now?

If it's already been discussed at length, (no body wants to keep writing/listening to the same story) could someone point me to a thread that covers this.:)

( I did try the Search first but it kept giving me error messages and to contact the administrater, posted below :confused: )

For admin:
Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing or mismatched.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
205; although I cant believe guy from UK is complaining about the heat. I hear England is cold as hell..
We have our moments - it is our Canadian brothers who know a thing or two about the cold.

Apart from King Key that is, anything less than 80 degrees F and he wears a heated jacket:eek::D:

But we forgive him as he is good on helping the likes of me out :p:D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
205; although I cant believe guy from UK is complaining about the heat. I hear England is cold as hell.. :D :D :D
I never leave the house without a full Arctic survival suit on (sometimes two). I thought the suit's insulation would have stopped the engine's heat penetration, alas not. I have fairly skinny legs, possibly some pipe insulation around them first might work :p

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi everyone... just got my new 08 Sprint two weeks ago and been reading this site... but my biggest complaint is the heat as well. I read from many that heat was a problem on the legs.

But what I'm finding is the frame part (between fairing and gas tank) gets pretty hot all the way through. Like it's picking up the heat from the engine, which in turn is very hot on a good part of my legs. Is this normal? I wear full gear (high boots and riding pants included) and still need to move on the bike to get air between my legs and the bike to cool off.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Normal. You are riding 1L engine between your thighs. If you want cold, get a car with AC. Although, some people have removed cat, and put aftermarket pipe. It will remove a lot of heat.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Normal. You are riding 1L engine between your thighs. If you want cold, get a car with AC.
Not true of all bikes though, I had a test ride yesterday on a BMW K1300GT 160bhp, no heat felt from the bike at all. Not that I'm saying buy a BMW though!:eek:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Normal. You are riding 1L engine between your thighs. If you want cold, get a car with AC. Although, some people have removed cat, and put aftermarket pipe. It will remove a lot of heat.
Well, I ride with lots of guys with bikes in the 1+ L engines and they don't have the same effect.

Again, my question was more to the effect of the frame becoming very hot (almost too hot to touch) as opposed to just hot air being vented near the feet/leg area.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Welcome to the forum CanadianRider:) Glad to see there are others in Ottawa who know a thing or two about Triumphs, especially Sprints! We'll have to get together and compare heat levels. The frame does get warm. But nowhere near the heat levels I felt from the catalytic converters in the stock silencer. The Ralphus boat anchor mod got rid of that concern though :D

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Go with the suggestions listed here, aftermarket pipes vent heat much better due to either smaller baffles or no baffles at all.

Open pipes will always channel more heat out the tail ;)

If it still bothers you, pipe wrap or even a ceramic coating on the pipes will help even more heat to be channeled out the back.

--Kory

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.