Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I have been on a long trip with tubeless tyres I have always carried a repair kit (and never needed it, touch wood). However, the Bonnie has tubed tyres. I don't fancy taking all the kit to change a tyre by the roadside, but one of those tyre goo cans would be ideal as a temporary repair, to enable me to get home or somewhere that I can get it attended to. However, all the products I have seen seem to be suitable for tubeless only.

I know the prospects of repairing a blown tube are poor compared to tubeless, but does anyone know of a product that I could carry?

·
Registered
17 Posts
A product called "Slime" is wonderful for tubed tires. I would not use it long term. but to get you home in a pinch, it's the stuff. You still need a way to inflate the tire through as the Slime is just a botte of liquid, not a pressurized can of sealer.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/77/13761/ITEM/Slime-Power-Sport-Smart-Spair-Kit.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

if posting the link is a volation of forum rules please remove it and accept my sincere appology. I am not promoting the vendor listed just trying to answer the o/p's question.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If commercial links weren't permittted, some of the best posts wouldn't be here.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think Slime is available in the UK. I'm not looking for anything long-term, just something to have in the bag for if I get a flat somewhere away from home. On longer trips I carry a lightweight bicycle pump anyway. A holed tube would be replaced by me in any case, so bad effects from the Slime would be irrelevant. Sounds what I am looking for, so thanks.

Davidc - thanks, mate. I'm ahead of you there :)

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Ive used this stuff on all recent bikes, both pedal and motor, tubed and tubeless........

http://www.ride-on-uk.com/

Its a puncture prevention product rather than for repairing afterwards.
No need to carry inflation kit.
In the case of use in inner tubes its fine when changing tyres (doesn't leak out) and it doesn't effect wheel balance.

Works well for me on all my two-wheeled transport! :)

V.

·
Registered
45 Posts
A can of aerosol fix a flat purchased from a convenience store did just fine for me and my punctured tubed Metzler for the 15 low speed miles I needed to get to my repair guy.
I carry a fresh can with me now at all times.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
A product called "Slime" is wonderful for tubed tires. I would not use it long term. but to get you home in a pinch, it's the stuff. You still need a way to inflate the tire through as the Slime is just a botte of liquid, not a pressurized can of sealer.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/77/13761/ITEM/Slime-Power-Sport-Smart-Spair-Kit.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

if posting the link is a volation of forum rules please remove it and accept my sincere appology. I am not promoting the vendor listed just trying to answer the o/p's question.
+1 to Slime we have Slime in are T100s all the time.

Plasma.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a can of a product called Finilec which I carry in the car at all times, but it is specifically for tubeless tyres. If I can find one that says 'works with tubes' I will get it, but so far the products I have seen mention tubeless or don't mention it at all. Ventura's recommendation is the first one I have seen to mention tubes in any way.

Very helpful responses, thanks all.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This one is made specifically for motorcycle tires.
Thanks for that, Chris. Sounds ideal, but the product description doesn't mention tubes ...

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Those all sound like good options particularly the product Ventura refers to I think. I'll be ordering that for sure. I don't think I'm upto to doing a back tire tear down and rebuild at the side of the road.
While the following product is not a "fix in a can" it certainly looks like something that those of us without pick up trucks with ramps (or a friend with same) might be interested in.
It's an emergency tow apparatus, call your wife to come get you when your broken down.

Emergency bike tow
http://www.motorcycle-rack.com/MFWT.html

·
Registered
615 Posts
I also use something similar that Ventura uses - It’s not a foam or a get you home product. It is applied before any punctures occur to form a permanent seal. If you do get a nail in the tyre, stop asap and remove the nail and rotate the tyre so the 'slime' covers where the puncture was and that should seal it.......unlike me last week, on my way to some road racing in Northern Ireland, so I continued to ride/wobble a few miles to a garage, but by that time I managed to rip the tube!

It's a simple application, remove the valve, deflate and pour in the correct units as per instruction, put the valve back in and pump up again ;)

Nothing sucks like a flat 90 miles from home @ 9.30am :mad: (but luckily enough I found a garage that fitted a new tube and I was on my way alas £45 lighter)

·
Premium Member
7,028 Posts
With the puncture plugging goos, can you get a puncture, have it plugged by the goo and not be any the wiser? ie the nail is still in and you don't know it? or do they take a while to seal so you pick up that the tyre has deflated pretty quickly?

I also gather that whilst most punctures don't tear the tube, if that does happen the goo isn't going to help. (That is why I was asking, whether you know if the tyre has been punctured - I think you are more likely to tear the tube by riding with the nail in).

·
Registered
359 Posts
When I tour with saddle bags I carry spare tubes. I won't be changing tubes roadside that's for certain.
In the event I have a flat and eventually get to a shop, I will have the correct tubes in hand. Cell phone indeed !
Before leaving I installed Stan's Tire Sealant.
http://stanstiresealant.com/
Now it states 'tubeless' but after speaking with the tech at Stan's was assured it works with tubes as well. Only 2oz is needed per tire and available at most bicycle shops, USA.
If the tube is torn the new tube is handy.
All this aside, I truly wish the Bonnie had tubeless tires!

Cheers
Jp
PS....forgot to add, after installing 'Stan's' the tires hold pressure longer, bonus!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Black Dog, re the Three Bond sealant, on the directions on the can it says, "For tube/tubeless tires".

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for that, Seemore.

Thing is, I am quite happy to change a tyre at home, where I have my tools, and a bike lift. But on the road, I'm not sure I want to carry all that heavy kit 'just in case'. If I were travelling somewhere remote, maybe, but all my tripos so far have been in UK or Europe, where a bike shop is never too far away. The desire is for something that will provide a quick fix to get me 20-30 miles to a shop, or something that will prevent punctures in the first place. I don't mind carying a tyre pump.

Looks like I have a few options to look at now. Thanks for your advice, folks. It's strange that I am thinking about this, because a) I have no long trips planned in the near future, and b) I have never yet had a flat on the road. Touch wood.

Such is the obsessive motorcycling mind.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Here's another one. Supposedly you don't even notice if you get a screw/nail in your tyre. Guess it means you have to do occasional tire checks. I have some and am wating 'til I change tyres to install it - even tho they say you can stick it in your tube and transfer the tube to the next set of tyres.

http://www.tireguardian.com/

1 - 20 of 28 Posts