Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question as I am UK based and looking at a possible purchase from Florida.
Do you have to have any form of certificate or annual inspection of road worthiness for classic motorcycles in Florida?
Looking at a 1969 Triumph and trying work out what documentation I could expect and how to carry out the purchase.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
No, but we have many pristine bikes. Most Triumph owners keep their bikes in good nick. Where is the bike? Is it near Daytona Beach? If it is someone in the AMCA (Antique Motorcycle Club of America) I can check. All we have here are "titles" which is simply a current log book which only shows the current owner.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
You really want to get someone who knows these bikes to check it out for you.
We have many pristine bikes and we have some rolling hand grenades and just piles of butchered junk.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have been thinking how to get the bike checked over so AMCA sounds good.
Bike is in Miami area and from the description the bike might be a 'garage princess' described as kept in a heated garage one owner from new.
18k miles in 52 years.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I have been thinking how to get the bike checked over so AMCA sounds good.
Bike is in Miami area and from the description the bike might be a 'garage princess' described as kept in a heated garage one owner from new.
18k miles in 52 years.
EVERGLADES CHAPTER, CLIVE TAYLOR PRESIDENT. Go to their web site explain the situation, Clive is British but raised in the US, fantastic collection of bikes.

·
Registered
Looking
2 Posts
EVERGLADES CHAPTER, CLIVE TAYLOR PRESIDENT. Go to their web site explain the situation, Clive is British but raised in the US, fantastic collection of bikes.
Just saw this and I'm curious as to how it worked out; I find the fact that Florida has no annual vehicle inspections simply appalling, having lived in NY and VA. As much as I hated those inspections, I believe it keeps a lot of unsafe vehicles off the road (or at least I hope so).
If this hasn't worked out let me know - I live about 2 hours north of Miami, and while I would never consider myself an expert, I have owned a '73 750 Commando, and still miss it!
Let me know if I can help.

KevinL

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just saw this and I'm curious as to how it worked out; I find the fact that Florida has no annual vehicle inspections simply appalling, having lived in NY and VA. As much as I hated those inspections, I believe it keeps a lot of unsafe vehicles off the road (or at least I hope so).
If this hasn't worked out let me know - I live about 2 hours north of Miami, and while I would never consider myself an expert, I have owned a '73 750 Commando, and still miss it!

KevinL
Thanks for your reply.
Neither the vendor or the local motor vehicle inspection service or AMCA replied to my emails so I let it go.
Pity it was a good looking TR6C at the right price but hey ho there will always be another along.
Turned my attention to T100Cs and four came along all within the space of a day or two and one is almost local.
Meanwhile my TR6R arrived having been in transit since 23 March so I have been busy sorting that out.
I bought it as a project but it runs too well to be taken apart so might just clean it and sell on.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts

KevinL
More government control, we're fine here. I left the left behind in London after decades of MOTs, no thanks. Believe what you like.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Thanks for your reply.
Neither the vendor or the local motor vehicle inspection service or AMCA replied to my emails so I let it go.
Pity it was a good looking TR6C at the right price but hey ho there will always be another along.
Turned my attention to T100Cs and four came along all within the space of a day or two and one is almost local.
Meanwhile my TR6R arrived having been in transit since 23 March so I have been busy sorting that out.
I bought it as a project but it runs too well to be taken apart so might just clean it and sell on.
I am surprised as Clive is always available and up for this sort of thing. If you are still in the market let me know our chapter often has bikes for sale and I can assure you I and a few others would gladly do a thorough inspection as we are judges at the shows and have knowledge of proper year mechanicals etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am surprised as Clive is always available and up for this sort of thing. If you are still in the market let me know our chapter often has bikes for sale and I can assure you I and a few others would gladly do a thorough inspection as we are judges at the shows and have knowledge of proper year mechanicals etc.
Thanks for the offer I will file for future reference.
The original question about inspection was to establish whether there is a check say once a year to establish the road worthiness of a motorcycle.
My insurance is not valid if I ride a bike over here without one.
That gives me a marker to make a judgement when buying sight unseen.
Rather annoyingly the advert appears to be still running. Triumph TR6C Trophy Miami Beach but I have moved on to other projects now.

·
Registered
59 Posts

KevinL
Kevin,

The counter to that is only having insurance for one day with a set of borrowed tires installed. Personally, I find having the focus on "one day" a year to be false reassurance.

Personally, I would much rather have car insurance that is pulled after the inspection noted when the vehicle is spotted on the road. Running bald tires should be written up whether at the inspection station or not. In terms of smoke grenades, those are so easy to spot there really isn't any excuse for leaving them in service on public roads. YMMV

1 - 11 of 11 Posts