Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Longwood, Florida from Pensacola the day after Christmas and returned yesterday. It was a quickly arranged trip that involved moving heavy furniture all day Wednesday and not much sleep. Yuck!

This was my first sorta long run on the Bonnie and I was excited! Interstate travel was limited to 20 miles on I75 and 25 miles on I4 (hair raising!) and Florida Turnpike.

From Pensacola to Ocala was a joy with light traffic on two lane roads mostly unknown to tourists who race on the interstates with point A to point B fervor. Even some of the four lane roads were lightly traveled. Appalachicola National Forest and Florida's Big Bend show a mostly unknown beauty that unfortunately is being discovered by the world.
Once in Ocala the whole picture changed. From there south you better study the maps if you want to avoid traffic madness. My short stay on I75 was highlighted by a top speed of 35mph for 10 miles. Yes, I said TOP speed. Although I got lost for an hour in Seminole County, the ride was fun with a few hills and curvy roads around one particular lake. I didn't have a map because most of the roads I knew - 30 years ago. :-D :???:
The temperature when I left Pensacola was 43 degrees. It remained in the low 50's until turning south it finally got up around 63 or so. Great weather, not a drop of rain.
Leaving Longwood for home, the temp was 49 degrees and cooled just a tad once I escaped [email protected]#&&!! I4 and the Florida Turnpike. At one point it went up to 71 degrees and cooled back down to the 60's about 2 hours before arriving back in Pensacola.
Not a long trip by y'alls standards, but a ton of fun and has me wanting much more. One thing I noticed was that the longer I rode on non interstate, the slower I was willing to ride and was very relaxed, even though tired on the return trip.
I have a Fieldsheer Hydro Tour 3/4 jacket and booster pants that helps keep a thin blooded Floridian warm in the cooler weather. Maybe January and February will bring on some cold weather to test them out.
The Billy Bars from New Bonneville were great though short. I flopped my foot over them, resting my calves on the pegs, and every other position I could think of. Brent says I can trade out for the long bar. Great add on!
The Triumph K&Q seat was great. I use the stock seat around town.
The Bonnie ran flawlessly for 952 miles with overall fuel mileage of 45.6mpg. Speeds ranged from 60 to 75mph (and still the turtle on I4).
I want more travel time.

Thanks to D&D Cycles in Pensacola for doing the 6000 mile service with no appointment and little notice before I left. Great dealer!

Here's a couple of quick pics. This was more a necessary than sightseeing trip so not a lot of pics.

Horse Farm - Ocala Fl area.

Rustic hotel with no tv or radio. Great place. Cold, clear springs on southern end of Appalachicola National Forest.

[ This message was edited by: wonderdog on 2006-12-29 16:50 ]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for the story and great photos.
How do you keep your rear springs from rubbing a hole in your saddle bags in each side? I rubbed holes through mine in 1000 miles.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drag Specialties part # DS-110854 "Saddlebag Supports For 58-86 4 Speed Big Twin" found on ebay anywhere from $25 to $35 shipped.

I cannot take credit for this. It was shown here by "Copper" and is shown in better detail with installation hints here.

No rubbing, easy and cheap.

Dennis

G

·
Your windshield looks like a winner for protection and comfort (and even style, imho). But I can't identify the brand. Can you help me?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Next time you go to McGuires, have a beer or two for me, and raise one for a better season for ND next year as well.

Nathan

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Next time you go to McGuires, have a beer or two for me, and raise one for a better season for ND next year as well
Did you kiss the Moose? :-D

·
Registered
589 Posts
I try to stay away from the moose, but I have been up there singing on the stage. I try to get the ND room when I go. When they finally built us one down in Destin it was much easier to get to then having to go all the way up to P'cola, ya know its a long trip from FWB, hehe!

Nathan
Hurlburt Field Survivor '93-'97
IYASYAS!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its a short trip from Ft Walton to P'Cola, but the trip back is what gets ya'!

Dennis

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Isn't the Bonnie a great road bike? She even does the Interstates ok. But the secondary roads are where she really shines! Great ride write-up. Photos made me envious. Only an avid snowmobiler would want photo ops of NE Ohio at the present time.

Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts