Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I've taken an overnighter road trip, I've finally finagled a way to do it. My wife and kids are driving to Myrtle Beach SC (from York PA) today. I'll work until Tuesday then leave Tuesday night to beat the Thanksgiving traffic. I'm planning on driving 1/2 way or so and sllep for the night (unless I leave Wed. early morning). 550 mile and 11 hours worth of riding...each way. The best part is the wife allowed me to splurge on some techy stuffs. Just ordered a Garmin C330 GPS and bar mount. Also ordered an Autocom system. Hopefully it will all arrive this weekend so that I can wire it all up. Other than winter riding gear, any suggestions?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Returned from a great riding experience!

Left Tuesday around 4pm and made it to Roanoke VA around 10:30pm. Temperature was about 38F. Fingers and toes got cold. I learned to excercise my fingers and toes to keep them warm while riding. These after market gloves suck! The rest of my body stayed very warm.

Stayed at a sleezy 8 motel in Roanoke and walked to the local Waffle House the next morning. Decided to wait out a coming storm and finally departed @ 8:30am. I had a 6+ hour ride ahead of me. About an hour after leaving Roanoke it began to rain. O.A.T. was 40F. Rain increased to pouring as I rode through Greensboro and had been for about 2 hours south of it. Stopped to fuel up and get a bite to eat. It was cold and extremely windy. I ate, wrung out my rain soaked gloves and departed. In all I rode through about 3-4 hours of hard rain. It finally cleared up and my last couple of hours were relatively dry. I made it to our cabin in Myrtle Beach S.C. at 3:30pm. 10.5 hours of riding and 638 miles covered. Average speed was 66MPH. Top speed was 112MPH. As recorded by my GPS.

Had a great thanksiving, hung out on the beach Friday & Saturday with 68F weather and sunny.

My return trip began at 4pm Saturday evening. This time I took I-95 via Washington DC. Arrived home at 12am Sunday morning. In all the trip took 8 hours, average speed was 60 (congestions) and my top speed was 114MPH (Home stretch at 11pm...no one but me on the road :-D )

In all I traveled over 1,200 miles.

Thoughts~Need heated socks and winter/waterproof gloves. Also too, I will take along a little Anti-fog wipes to keep the visor from fogging up.

GPS~Best thing since sliced bread. Made riding MUCH more enjoyable and less stressing.

Autocom. Speakers/Ipod not the greatest for music, but when anybody called me on the cell phone, I could hear them VERY clear!!! Extremely impressed on how clear they could hear me and I them. Although pricey, Autocom has a great product.

Because most of my riding was done at night, I don't have many pics. However, I took a few while at our Beach House. I'll post when they're developed

I'm ready for another road trip.
:)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I don't own a GPS and don't know much about them. Can you tell me how it made your ride less stressful and how it aided please?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts