Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm traveling to Tucson from Phoenix (120+- miles) next weekend and I have been able to stuff 2 changes of clothes in my backpack, but it's tough.

Anyone have good experience with backpacks that can hold a weekend worth of clothes, at a fair price?

If I can't get anything for under say $40, I'll just rough it with what I can fit in my standard Jansport bag. I know there is some neat stuff out there, but I have seen some upwards of $150 and I'm just not that desperate for a bag.

It would also be very nice if it would double as a daily bag to take back and forth to work.

·
Registered
759 Posts
tank bag?

A tank bag will carry all your stuff and cut the wind as well. You can get a solid tank bag to carry everything you'll ever need for $50 - $60. Here's my Nelson-Riggs CL-650 (expandable w/ detachable map window on top) that I got from newenough.com for under $60...

·
Registered
575 Posts
Backpacks get hot!

Spend $17 and buy this:

Rapid Transit bag

It is a quite cavernous, rugged, and it can be used as a sling pack over your back. I use mine daily but have it mounted on the tail as I tend to tuck in on my highway commute and it gets in the way if mounted on the tank.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Don't wear the back pack, strap it to the seat. Duffel bags can hold quite a lot and wouldn't be bulky if you are only going for a weekend.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The question I have is if you have ridden any long distances with a backpack? On the occasions that I have it has been a little painful. My neck muscles would just start to tighten up after about 100 miles and it made the ride terrible.

Strap something to the seat if needed. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually have a backpack on almost all the time. I've ridden at most probably 175 miles with one on and it was fine. I'll be stopping a couple of times during the trip as it is for leisure.

I am reaaaaaaaaaally against the tank bags. I don't want to scratch my paint up, and I've seen those things work gas tanks over.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
I have a military three day assault pack I use...It holds quiTe a bit of stuff...more than enough room for a four day weekend...

I was wondering though how safe back packs would be in a accident...

what Im getting at is...if you fell off the bike and started to slide...it would be hard to flip yourself over and not skid on your chest...because the pack would prevent you from getting on your back and force you to slide on yoUr sides or front...

·
Registered
88 Posts
The Cortech Sport Tail Bag is a great product. I just got one and love it. Its very versatile, quality made, easy on/off the bike, and has a grab handle and shoulder strap for carry off the bike (comes with a rain cover that works, too). It costs a bit more than your budget ($65 to $70), though. Try to check one out at a shop, if it holds enough gear for you (may be a little small), then its worth the extra bucks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts