Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been out on a great run today. Fab weather and good choice of roads throughout south west Wales.

Busiest I have seen it so far this year.

But was a bit shocked!

I can not belive how many groups of high speed riders there are (very high speed). Mainly sports bikes, some with track numbers etc. Little care for other road users i.e. not any courtesy

How long can this go on before the law changes restricting horse power or speed?

I’m not slow but I take care and give other road users some courtesy even if they are slow.

What is the main line of thinking on this here?

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
It's spring and the muppets have finally come out to play.

A proportion of them will not survive until summer and some of them will take civilians with them. The rest will either have calmed down and become competent or been arrested/disqualified within a reasonable space of time.

I say this with no joy, just observation.

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Up the other end, Alton, where the muppets also play each springtime.

There's a gathering in the station carpark each Wednesday evening from spring to autumn and the accident rate around the carpark rises dramatically about this time of year. :eek:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Up the other end, Alton, where the muppets also play each springtime.

There's a gathering in the station carpark each Wednesday evening from spring to autumn and the accident rate around the carpark rises dramatically about this time of year. :eek:
I've always found the Alton cafe meet far calmer than others around (like the one they used to have at Odiham).
Mind you now Loomies is open down at West Meon the nutters have somewhere else to go to from the cafe.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Sad isn't it that a few will spoil it for the majority - went to Aldeburgh on the Suffolk coast yesterday - thankfully muppets were in short supply.

·
Registered
388 Posts
simonpembs>> Do you have any nice route around South Wales?

Thinking of doing a long weekend in the summer through Wales with the Girl so it's not going to be fast riding, more nice roads / scenic stuff.

How's the local police situation in wales as well? I've heard they don't like bikes one bit.

Cheers

Dean

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Dean

I think the press reports about Police not being too biker friendly were to do with North Wales.

I think they might like us down south!

·
Registered
388 Posts
That's good to here RatBoy, i've always fancied seeing some of wales and it's only about 150miles to Cardiff from me. Any picturesque places you can recommend in South Wales?

Also whats the availability of cheap B & B's and camping.

Camping if i go solo, B & B if the better half comes along :D

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Indeed!

Plenty of top roads, from Brecon to the Blackhills - through to Pembrokeshire coast. I guess some more local people could advise - or else you could look on T595.net as there are more local people on that UK forum.

Plenty of camping spots - although those I would suggest come from my army days and may not suit!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hi Dean

It’s hard to start coming up with particular roads or routes in my back yard. There are so many. But will try.

Most of the good stuff is around mid Wales, though there is a treat to be had almost anywhere.

My favourite area is just east of Aberystwyth. This area takes in Devils Bridge, the Elan Valley. Then to the north a bit you have Lake Vyrnwy and Bala. In amongst this area you will find all sorts of roads from fast A roads to mountain passes.

I will try and re post later with a more in depth description. But in the mean time look up the above places, I have to pop out on bike while the sun is out.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Been out on a great run today. Fab weather and good choice of roads throughout south west Wales.

Busiest I have seen it so far this year.

But was a bit shocked!

I can not belive how many groups of high speed riders there are (very high speed). Mainly sports bikes, some with track numbers etc. Little care for other road users i.e. not any courtesy

How long can this go on before the law changes restricting horse power or speed?

I’m not slow but I take care and give other road users some courtesy even if they are slow.

What is the main line of thinking on this here?
You mean bikes like this one?
I took this one out this aftenoon and honestly 70- 80mph is like doing 30. The handling is sublime, rock solid, and the speed at only 4- 5k rpm [out of a 12k redline] is easily pushing 3 figures.
Still it's no excuse not to behave!
I have to recommend test riding this bike as an unforgettable way to spend an hour. When you get back on your sprint...well, go find out for yourselves. :D

·
Registered
266 Posts
I am saddened by the quality of riding I see. Unfortunately it is the riders that have a total disregard for there own & others safety that gets us all a bad name.

I like my speed but in the right places and that's not in 30 limits or overtaking on double whites around blind bends. I would rather like to live a little longer to enjoy my Sprint.

As for Welsh roads try the A483 from Newtown to Crossgates. 20+ miles of smooth bendy tarmac.

The police can't be everywhere. They usually focus on roads frequented by bikers so find out which ones they are and avoid them on Weekends or when there is a bike meet. Or if you do use them-behave. There are plenty of other roads to try. I make a point of trying a road I haven't used before everytime I go out. Sometimes you find a real gem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Most of the muppets only do 1,000 miles a year, so you shouldn't see much of them anyway. For Hampshire, my favourite road is the B3084 Romsey > A303. I used to ride to work on it every day. There are some nice roads around there all quiet...:D

·
Registered
388 Posts
Most of the muppets only do 1,000 miles a year, so you shouldn't see much of them anyway. For Hampshire, my favourite road is the B3084 Romsey > A303. I used to ride to work on it every day. There are some nice roads around there all quiet...:D
Hampshire eh? My girlfriend lives in portsmouth, any good roads around there?

Often if the weathers good and i'm done hers for the weekend we head toward new forest. Not fast roads but bice relaxing ride all the same

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Hampshire eh? My girlfriend lives in portsmouth, any good roads around there?

Often if the weathers good and i'm done hers for the weekend we head toward new forest. Not fast roads but bice relaxing ride all the same
Try the A32 Fareham to Alton and deviate onto the real back roads through Hambledon, Chidden, East Meon. Pick a nice sunny afternoon - nothing finer. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts